Swinnea set for head coaching debut

Emily Vetvick

Former Redhawks coordinator Matt Swinnea is the school’s new head football coach. With decades of coaching experience, taking over the Redhawks, Swinnea is ready for his time in charge. “It’s a Boston song title…it’s More Than a Feeling,” he said. “It’s the realization of a professional dream at a place that I truly love: Liberty High School.”

For the first time in five years, there’s a new face in charge of the Redhawks football program as Matt Swinnea takes the reigns from Chris Burtch, who resigned for a position with the Frisco ISD Athletic Department

It’s the realization of a professional dream at a place that I truly love: Liberty High School,

— head football coach Matt Swinnea

Part of the Redhawks coaching staff for years, being the new head coach is something he won’t take for granted.

“It’s a Boston song title…it’s More Than a Feeling,” Swinnea said via email. “It’s the realization of a professional dream at a place that I truly love: Liberty High School.”

With thirty years of coaching football in his back pocket, Swinnea isn’t about to change things suddenly. 

“It’s really the same mindset that I’ve had for the entirety of my career, one that centers around my purpose in being a coach,” Swinnea said via email said. “It is my desire, as well as the goal of our program, to do two things: win and help young people develop the character that enables them to be successful in life. In terms of the new role, I now get to spend a little more time and energy enabling other coaches to do the same thing.”

Knowing Swinnea for more than a decade, Burtch has high hopes for the program.

“Coach Swinnea came to Liberty in the spring of 2014,” Burtch said via email. “We have coached together for 15 years. He knows the ins-and-outs of the job and has a very high football IQ. He is going to do a great job. He is respected by the faculty, coaches and students. I believe that he and the Redhawk staff are going to do some great things this year.”

Senior Keavon Wright’s is looking for a fresh start with Swinnea’s help after the Redhawks went 0-10 in 2018. 

“I’m just hoping he’ll be able to turn the team around in some way this year,” Wright said. “I think it will be a smooth transition, the only difference may be the offense since he won’t be coaching it anymore.”

Already familiar with the program, any changes implemented by Swinnea will be minor in nature. 

I’m just hoping he’ll be able to turn the team around in some way this year,

— senior Keavon Wright

“There are some subtle changes to the structure of the program, but the core values remain the same,” Swinnea said via email said. “The greatest change comes with the addition of six new coaches to the football staff. I’m excited about the energy and knowledge of this staff and really look forward to seeing them work with the players.”

Heading into Friday’s season opening game at North Garland, Swinnea believes the team is more than ready.

“We started preparing for this season as soon as last season was over,” Swinnea said via email said. “We had an intense “boot camp”, many weeks of off-season workouts, spring ball, and then summer strength and conditioning. Physically we have done what we needed to do. It is now all about the mental. Nothing about last season should influence this season because no one should be the same person or player that they were.”