Safety measures back in the spotlight

Aaron Boehmer

Despite starting a new semester, students are still expected to wear their ID badges at all times. The campus administration is also making sure classroom doors remain closed during the day.

Students walking into the building without ID cards will be asked to put them on before being allowed to enter the school starting Thursday as assistant principals will be stationed outside the main three entrances. Students without their school ID will be sent to the front office to get a temporary ID sticker. 

“The past last week we noticed that less and less students were their IDs,” assistant principal Jason Harris said. “We have done everything we can to help out without having consequences but it’s got to a point where we’ve got to hold students accountable.”

Ensuring every entering student has an ID is designed to increase security and enforce already installed security measures with students without an ID will be sent to the office.

“I think that’s kind of a little problematic because sometimes you don’t have your ID just because like you lost and you ordering like a new one,” junior Ashika Deshpande said. “It sounds like come and just getting constantly. It’s kind of annoying because you always have to worry about not having your ID. But it’s also kind of a good thing so random people don’t come into our school.”

Forgetting an ID shouldn’t be a punishable offense according to junior Tyler Brown.

“That’s a little excessive in the most respectful way possible, because I don’t think that they need to be enforcing it as harshly as they are, and I don’t think it should be a punishment,” Brown said. “If you don’t have them I think they should just send you to the office to get her temporary and not have it be like a detention after you miss it.”

As part of the school’s emphasis on ensuring safety, campus administrators have sent teachers an email reminding them to keep their doors closed at all times. 

“I don’t like that doors are closed, but I do know that we can’t make access easy for people with bad intent,” English teacher Shannon Glidwell said. “They’re open the whole time when we have passing periods and that’s when the most amount of people are in the hallways. Yeah, I don’t really know how to make it much safer without bringing in more elements that would like automatically shut the doors, right and automatically open the doors.”