Competition season ahead, Red Rhythm showcases its routines

Emily Vetvick

Presenting their competition routines and dances, Red Rhythm performed in a district wide drill team showcase on Tuesday. “Unlike football season, where we get to perform the same routine every week, for contest, we only have two days of contest to actually perform and compete,” junior Annie Tian said.

Shreya Jagan, Staff Reporter

An opportunity for drill team dancers to present their talents to others in Frisco ISD in preparation for the upcoming competition on Feb. 8, Red Rhythm had their drill team show offs Tuesday. 

“It’s a way for us to show our routines that we’re going to be using for contest,” senior Fallon Aalliyah said. “It gives us all a feel of what it’ll be like and also gives us a chance to check out the competition.”

Members have been practicing on a regular basis in the attempt to master their pieces.

“We’ve been working really hard,” freshman Akanksha Mehta said. “The process can be very challenging at times because of the long practices.”

Competition season forces Red Rhythm to shift into a different style of dance. 

“It’s very different than what we’re used to,” junior Annie Tian said. “Unlike football season, where we get to perform the same routine every week, for contest, we only have two days of contest to actually perform and compete. So we essentially have to practice much more so that we can develop the stamina it takes to be able to perform the far more complicated choreography.”

Even though the conditions may seem intense, the outcome makes up for all the downsides.

“It’s worth it in the end,” Mehta said. “It gave me a chance to perform with all my friends and we got to see all our hard work pay off.”