Simply Shreya: the right choice

Morgan Kong

Wingspan’s Shreya Jagan shares her personal take on issues and experiences in her weekly column Simply Shreya.

Shreya Jagan, Staff Reporter

Do you remember the middle and high school presentations? The ones about peer pressure? Yeah, those. Let me tell you something, I always thought they were so pointless. I mean, the people that don’t want to give in… won’t. 

I understood that the message needed to be spread because we all need a reminder to stay on track sometimes. But, in my head, I knew that I would never do something that goes against what I believe in, no matter who tried to sway me. I only realized how essential it is that you make the right decision when I was actually pushed to make the choice.

I do still agree that those presentations were brought upon us one too many times, but the lessons still remain crucial. I always thought that I was this person that could say no to whoever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Yes, this still rings true, but only recently did I realize how often peer pressure still occurs. 

Drinking, drugs, driving, ditching.

It’s almost as if I have to live up to someone’s expectations as to how a high schooler should act. Just because people are engaging in something, doesn’t mean that you have to immediately fall in line. Once you evaluate your values, it becomes easier to enforce them.

It is hard. Wanting to be like all the other kids, being able to relate. It’s understandable. But when it’s time to choose between being uniform, or being safe, my decision is clear, and so should everyone else’s. Never bargain your life for something less than what you deserve. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is a thank you for the lectures and the lessons and the presentations (even though they were relentless). Thank you to all the teachers, thank you to my parents. I didn’t realize it then, but I can safely say that without them, I don’t know where I would be right now. 

I’m glad I made the right choice.