• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

• No school Nov. 19-23 for Thanksgiving break

Boys’ wrestling wins State Dual Championship

Team reverses last year's result by beating Centennial

Hosting the trophy above his head as the team celebrates, wrestling coach Jason Thurston guided the boys' to 2016 State Dual Championship by defeating wrestling team defeated Centennial 36-27. (Jan. 16, 2016)

Courtesy of Redhawks Wrestling

The boys wrestling team made history Saturday, winning the 5A Texas High School Wrestling Coaches Association State Dual Tournament with their 36-27 win over Centennial.

This has been the day that had been circled for a long time.”

— head coach Jason Thurston

“It feels great,” senior captain Kevin Overlin said. “It really means a lot because we came in 2nd place last year, and it was almost the same exact situation, except we came up on top.”

Going into the tournament, many of the wrestlers were excited at the prospect of bringing home a state title.

“It was a mix of nervousness and excitement,” senior Nathan Lewis said. “We knew we would get up to the final spot. It was just the excitement and nerves of bringing it home in your last year.”

Last year’s tournament gave the team a sour taste in their mouths, losing to the Titans in the final match.

“Last year we had an exciting tournament, but a heartbreaking ending,” head coach Jason Thurston said. “This has been the day that had been circled for a long time.”

With medals around their necks and the trophy in their hands, the boys' wrestling team poses for a team picture after winning the State Dual Championship.

Courtesy of Redhawks Wrestling
With medals around their necks and the trophy in their hands, the boys’ wrestling team poses for a team picture after winning the State Dual Championship.

The team won their first games of pool play, defeating host Bryan High School 45-27 and Houston Davis 72-6 to advance to the quarterfinals. Defeating Pioneer High School 72-10 and then Rockwall Heath 40-31, the team found themselves in familiar territory.

It would come down to the final match once again, except this time, the Redhawks would be the ones celebrating.

“How hard we worked in practice gave us confidence that we could wrestle anyone,” Lewis said.

Thurston talked about the admiration he had for his players.

“I love them,” Thurston said. “I love competing with them, and that’s not dependent on winning or losing. We had some guys drop some tough matches, but I love watching them compete.”

For the the wrestlers, this title will be a moment they will look back on for the rest of the school year, and even beyond.

“It’s an amazing feeling,” Overlin said. “It’s something I’ll look back on for the rest of my life.”

Arman Kafai, Lead Sports Reporter

Arman Kafai was born in Plano, Texas, and has lived in the North Texas area for the last 18 years. When he’s not digging through his list of stories...