Simply Shreya: class of 2020

Morgan Kong

Wingspan’s Shreya Jagan shares her personal take on issues and experiences in her weekly column Simply Shreya.

Shreya Jagan, Staff Reporter

Everybody always wonders what it’s like to be at graduation. To walk up the stairs and get your diploma. To move the tassel to the other side. 

To me, it’s always been like this. You work hard for three years of high school and for your senior year, you get to let loose a little bit. 

Class of 2020, I’m sorry that you don’t get to have your full high school experience. And I’m sorry that this is what you’re going to remember when you think of high school and the things you never got to do. 

It’s weird. When we’re in high school, all we do is complain. At least that’s what I do. I complain about homework and tests and pretty much anything you can think of. But, for some reason I get the feeling that when I leave this place, all I’m going to be doing is missing it. 

Class of 2020, I’m sorry that you never got to say goodbye. 

I know how important graduating is. I mean, after graduation there’s no more high school. Graduation is almost like closure. And life’s hard without closure. 

But, given this pandemic, our school is working really hard to make sure that the seniors get as close to a prom or as close to a graduation as they can get. And that deserves appreciation. 

Sure, things aren’t the way they were supposed to be, but when have they ever been? That being said, there isn’t any guarantee that things won’t turn out well in the end. 

But until then, that doesn’t mean that you can’t have fun. Do things you like doing, things that matter, things that help you forget about everything else.  Make it meaningful, just in case that this is the last chance you’ll get at being a kid in high school.

So, class of 2020, make this your year.