Dual credit students adjust to online college classes

Kasey Harvey

The Collin College Writing Center is offering free help with college applications to dual credit students. Appointments will be available at all locations, including neighboring areas such as the Frisco, Plano, and McKinney campuses.

Ana Cuen, Guest Contributer

Frisco ISD students have had to adjust to the eLearning system in response to the COVID-19, but students enrolled in dual credit have also had to adjust to their online Collin College classes. With these changes, some Collin professors have made the transition simple for students. 

“My Collin teachers are understanding with deadlines and give us some flexibility, and the lectures are shorter,” junior Malei Cox said via text. “I think the adjustment was easier for my Collin classes than for FISD classes.”

While an overall easy transition, there have been some challenges for junior Kate Duke, who liked the constant feedback from her instructors. 

“The biggest challenge is probably communication with the professors about assignments,” she said via text. “Like in English for an essay, I can’t have my professor look over it in person!”

As every Collin class runs differently, there were not many changes in the way Cox’s classes ran before

“Collin is mostly online for both of my professors this semester, even before quarantine,” Cox said via text. “It’s a little bit weird because most of my collin assignments are due on Friday or Monday, whereas all of my FISD assignments are due on Sunday.”

No matter the changes in work, those that take the Collin zero hour option, where class begins at 7:15 a.m., appreciate their new schedule.  

“I like that my Liberty classes give me a whole week to do the work that they assign at the beginning of the week. I wish my Collin professors did that,” junior Jade Radford said via text. “I think other than that, my college classes are pretty nice and simple to do. It’s also nice that I don’t have to wake up at 6:30am every day of the week!