Once a Redhawk, always a Redhawk

Class of 2020 to be celebrated at Saturday morning ceremony at Toyota

Graduation+will+be+held+at+8+a.m.+Saturday+at+Toyota+Stadium+while+following+social+distancing+guidelines.+The+students+will+be+sitting+together%2C+there+will+be+all+the+usual+speeches%2C+students+will+be+able+to+have+their+name+read+in+front+of+their+friends+and+family+and+celebrate+the+end+of+their+high+school+careers%2C+principal+Ashley+Rainwater+said.+

Karen Adolff

Graduation will be held at 8 a.m. Saturday at Toyota Stadium while following social distancing guidelines. “The students will be sitting together, there will be all the usual speeches, students will be able to have their name read in front of their friends and family and celebrate the end of their high school careers,” principal Ashley Rainwater said.

Shreya Jagan, Staff Reporter

As the 2020 school year comes to a close, graduation is fast approaching and will be held at 8 a.m. Saturday at Toyota Stadium. Even though this year’s graduation will be different, many of the original aspects of past graduations will still be present. 

“For the most part, there will be all the elements of our usual graduations,” principal Ashley Rainwater said via email. “The students will be sitting together, there will be all the usual speeches, students will be able to have their name read in front of their friends and family and celebrate the end of their high school careers.”

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, many people have been working hard to ensure that graduation still occurs smoothly this year. 

“Countless hours were spent working with principals, district and city officials and the venue,” Rainwater said. “We have had numerous plans for graduation, but the district has remained flexible in adjusting to the most current health and safety information.”

In addition, as the possibility of bad weather/rain is still present, backup plans have already been orchestrated.

“There is a plan to reassign graduations based on bad weather,” Rainwater said. “Seniors will be given this information with their tickets. I was worried earlier, but it looks like we may have beautiful weather for an outside morning graduation.”

For many seniors, this year’s graduation serves as the closure they were unable to receive before school ended.

“I’m looking forward to being officially done with high school,” senior Geethika Bonthala said via text. “It’ll also be nice to see my friends one last time before I head to college. Especially after having to end this school year in such an odd way.”

Even still, there are some components of past graduations that will be missed this time around. 

“I think the biggest thing I will miss is seeing our choir perform one last time with the seniors,” Rainwater said. “It’s always a beautiful rendition of the national anthem and sets the tone for the rest of our ceremony.”

For some parents, graduation is a very important part of their child’s high school career. 

“I’m very glad that we’re able to see our daughter’s accomplishments celebrated,” senior parent, Renuprasad Bonthala said via text. “I think that FISD has done a good job despite our situation. It’s great that we’re still able to cherish this moment all the same.”

All in all, this year’s graduation plan leaves many people with no regrets. 

“I am actually extremely happy with the plans for graduation this year,” Rainwater said. “And graduation is usually my last chance to give the seniors some parting advice. Charles Swindoll once said that ‘life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it’ The seniors this year have reacted with dignity, grace, and perseverance. I look forward to the future they will create. Once a Redhawk, always a Redhawk.”