Simply Shreya: first week back

Morgan Kong

Wingspan’s Shreya Jagan shares her personal take on issues and experiences in her weekly column Simply Shreya.

Shreya Jagan, Managing Editor

Wow.

And just like that, we’re back.

I remember the last column I wrote last year was about how it was finally over. School, I mean.

But now we’re back. How did that happen? I remember that March seemed to last forever, and April and May were bearable. But for some reason, June, July, and August just breezed by. I’m not really sure how to comprehend everything that’s happened in these past few months, so it’s best that I narrow it to this week.

Here’s how my first few days of junior year as a Virtual Academy student went. 

First of all, I am definitely not used to waking up for school on time. One thing that school has taught me so far is that my sleep schedule is seriously messed up. Over the summer, it felt like all I did was sleep but also as though I was running on no sleep. I guess things seem to kind of blur together when you stay inside for six months. 

Second of all, even though it’s only been four days since school started, I already somehow started getting into the groove of things. I mean, trust me, I’m definitely still not used to doing homework and taking quizzes or anything of that sort. But, I got to know my teachers, my classes, and basically figure out the environment of the class which was honestly really great for me.

I did however get a random schedule change yesterday afternoon which caught me by surprise. But, I mean, we really are so early in the process that I should’ve expected it. 

It kind of feels like the realization is just hitting me though. Like, I’m actually back in school and I will be until May of next year. Isn’t that so weird? Maybe, it’s just me. But, that just feels wrong. I don’t know, give me a month, and we’ll see if I feel any different. 

Probably not.

But all in all, I think our teachers and staff are doing all that they can to ensure that things run smoothly. Little mishaps are bound to happen especially if everybody’s going to school online with teachers from all over the district. So, let’s give everyone a break right now. I know I already need one!