Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF sets online fundraising in motion

The schools chapter of UNICEF will be fundraising for Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF online this year through their GoFundMe page.

The school’s chapter of UNICEF will be fundraising for Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF online this year through their GoFundMe page.

Shreya Jagan, Managing Editor

Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF has long been the biggest in-person fundraiser for UNICEF and its chapters across the country, including the one on campus. But due to COVID-19, the event has been moved to an online format.

“We obviously will not be able to go door to door,” campus chapter historian Sufiyan Sabir said. “So, as a solution, UNICEF USA has decided to make Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF a virtual campaign.”

The UNICEF chapter on campus has gone above and beyond in terms of raising money.

“Our chapter has created a GoFundMe for Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF this year, and all of the donations go to UNICEF USA as part of their Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF campaign,” chapter secretary and treasurer Megan Guidry said. “I’m looking forward to seeing how much money we can raise through our GoFundMe. These are new circumstances for our club that we still have to adjust to but I think that this will be a successful year for fundraising nonetheless.”

Despite the fundraising gains, chapter president Tarini Pankanti still worries about the impact of the event being online.

“I think the obvious disadvantage is that we’re unable to build the sense of community within our organization which is so special,” Pankanti said. “When going around the neighborhood, not only are we advocating for a good cause, but we also strengthen our bonds with another and have fun.”

Though Guidry sees multiple advantages to a virtual fundraiser, even with certain restrictions in place.

“I’m glad that we are still able to raise money even amid the pandemic,” Guidry said. “The process will be quite different but in many ways it’s still great. Having the fundraiser online means that we can reach out to people outside of our local community to help contribute to Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF. It also means that we don’t have to contend with rain or other bad weather on Halloween when asking for donations, which has interfered with the amount of money we’ve raised on Halloween in years past.”

Ultimately, the members of the club are dedicated to making a difference no matter the situation and urge everyone to contribute however they can.

“All donations make a huge difference for children in need around the globe, whether contributing to their access to clean water and food, vaccinations, or school supplies,” Guidry said. “We hope to make this as interactive as possible. Raising awareness in our current situation is so important and Liberty UNICEF hopes to continue to advocate for children’s rights. Regardless of the specific amount of money that is raised, I am confident that we can make a difference in the quality of life of children worldwide.”