Mixed feelings about Frisco ISD’s plan for future of virtual school

Aaron Boehmer

A new and permanent Virtual Academy is in the works for Frisco ISD students. Admission to the new school will feature an application process and students that are selected will not receive the opportunity to participate in fine arts classes or athletics. 

Shreya Jagan, Managing Editor

The recent news has left many students and parents with mixed feelings. 

“It is a good change for those who still don’t feel safe attending school,” junior Netra Bhargava said via text. “However, I will not be choosing the virtual option for the next year because I felt there was a huge gap in my learning and my interactions with my peers.”

“I think a permanent virtual school is a good idea for students who want to continue their learning in a safe environment, which could be due to protective parents or high-risk people living with them,” junior Keenan Serrao said via text.

For Bhargava, this decision is a good choice for those that have to worry about their family given the current pandemic situation.

“Permanent virtual school is a great option for people who still have a fear of COVID or have an immunocompromised family member,” she said via text. “I think this notion will affect students positively as it can give students the peace of mind in knowing that they won’t be putting their loved ones in danger.”

However, most parents and students still collectively agree that students that decide to apply for the virtual school will be put at a disadvantage. 

“I think the students that choose virtual school next year will definitely be lacking in some aspects because fine arts and electives are often their breaks from all the difficulties in their main classes,” Serrao said via text. “For me, I love going to my orchestra class every day because it is a good way to get away from all the work at school and mentally reset myself before the rest of my classes.”

“Students would definitely be at a disadvantage if they didn’t do any extracurriculars or fine arts,” Bhargava’s mom Neha Rudra said via text. “It’s really unfortunate for those that have to miss out on opportunities and other projects that are important to them.”