Opinion: Dress code is better than uniforms

Staff columnist David Figueroa shares his opinion on school dress code and uniforms.

Sarah Philips

So, yeah. Spring is coming. And what does that mean? More and more people pushing dress code.

With all the people pushing the dress code, it only makes sense that the AP’s would get a bit stricter than they were before. Right?

That’s exactly what people don’t understand. They think that it is just plain unfair that they have to follow a dress code, but that’s not right. And yes, I agree, some of the dress code rules can be a little over the top, but just be thankful for what you have. Because you know what the alternative to the dress code is? Uniforms.

That’s right. Uniforms. I just don’t understand the point of them. I mean, I get the whole thing of not wanting kids to be distracted during class, but let’s face it; clothing is not going to stop students from becoming distracted. You want the students to not be distracted? Here’s a tip: how about you take down all the bright, flashy, yellow and red signs telling you to not get distracted in class!

Yes, dress code is also done to eliminate distractions. No, it doesn’t work either. Yes, the uniforms and dress code are both very stupid, and no, they won’t do anything to help crack down on the problem of students becoming distracted during class. But if you had the choice between uniforms and a dress code, which would you pick? I’m guessing dress code. Wouldn’t you much rather still be able to wear what you want, as opposed to what your administrators want you to wear?

I am a guy who enjoys expressing himself using various methods, and clothing is one of my favorites. I just can’t help but feel as though uniforms take away from student’s freedom to express themselves in as many ways as they can. At least with a dress code, you still have the ability to wear what you want and express yourself through clothing.

With a school uniform, you get no choice. The school simply tells you what you need to wear, and you don’t have a choice

If people keep complaining about the dress code, the district might say, “Well, they don’t like the dress code, so let’s give them uniforms so that they learn a lesson!” If students keep complaining, the district could very well decide to move to uniforms.
As someone who has gone to a school that requires uniforms, I can tell you first hand, it’s not fun. My advice to you is stop complaining, and deal with the dress code. It’s not as bad as it could be, not by a long shot. Who cares if people can’t see what your shoulders look like? The dress code is stupid, I agree with you on that, but trust me. It’s better than having to wear a uniform.