Simply Shreya: in retrospect

Morgan Kong

Wingspan’s Shreya Jagan shares her personal take on issues and experiences in her weekly column Simply Shreya.

Shreya Jagan, Managing Editor

Junior year. 

The year of SATs, multiple APs, and rigorous studying. 

Junior year… is over. 

And let me tell you, being a virtual student did not make my tasks any easier. 

There’s a lot of self-learning and independence involved when it comes to learning at home whether that be keeping up with homework, cramming before a test, or just keeping yourself accountable.

So, from time to time, it was a bit of a struggle. But, the second I was “done” with school for this year, I found myself letting out a huge breath. I mean, there’s still college applications and other preparations. But, for the time being, I’m going to just revel in the summer mindset. 

In retrospect, many different things happened this year. 

I rekindled my passion for reading, got closer with my family, started my dance workouts, and really progressed as a person. 

I figured out my likes and dislikes.

I delved more into my personality.

I identified my dreams and hopes for the future. 

This year definitely had its lows but I’ve managed to find some of the highs as well. And I’m happy that I was able to. 

During the summer, I never know what to answer when people ask me what grade I’m in. I like to think of it as a transition period and I usually go with the grade that I’ll be going into in the fall. 

So, if we’re playing by those rules, technically, I’m a senior now. And when I really think about it, that scares me. I mean, that’s when it all starts to feel real. Leaving high school, leaving childhood. Everything hits. Sure, I still have an entire summer until the thought should even begin to enter my mind. But why should that stop me from overthinking my overthinking? That was my attempt at sarcasm, by the way. 

Anyways, I’m looking forward to the summer. I know that I’m going to make it memorable. In whatever way I can. 

So, yeah. That’s my summer plan: make it a summer that I won’t forget. And as for anything else that happens? Obviously, I’ll talk about it next year!