DECA holds first meeting of the year

DECA+held+its+first+meeting+of+the+year+after+nearly+two+years+of+any+in-person+interactions.+

provided by Dea Divi

DECA held its first meeting of the year after nearly two years of any in-person interactions.

Shreya Jagan, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The DECA chapter on campus held its first meeting Tuesday. Since the beginning of the pandemic, this is the first in-person event that the club has held. 

“The turnout was insane compared to previous years,” club member and senior Anisya Nair said. “We filled the entire lecture hall with about 60 people.”

President of the chapter on campus Lalana Karri encourages everyone to join because of the real-world experience that it offers. 

“DECA is often perceived as just a business club, but there is so much more to it that’s personally beneficial,” Karri said. “Through competitions and meeting new people through the club, you gain many interpersonal skills such as communication and how to build connections which is important for any future career.”

Although the club provides many social aspects, Nair sees the more introspective side to the club as well. 

“DECA provides such a wonderful community,” Nair said. “Being a part of it allows me to grow immensely as an individual. The competitions are a great way to hone in on my public speaking skills and analytical ones as well.”

Ultimately, Karri believes that the club provides an outlet for students to get to know like-minded people and opportunities for students to enjoy themselves. 

“I think that students should join simply for the sake of how fun it is,” Karri said. “I have made some of my best friends through the club. Along with that, just getting to travel with your friends and other members is really fun as you get to have bonding experiences outside of the school setting.”