Playoff push continues as volleyball hosts Frisco

Michael Martin

The Redhawk volleyball team has begun preparations for their annual Pink Out game fundraiser on Tuesday. The team is looking to pull out a win as they are counting on it to follow through in their game plan to make playoffs.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and with that comes volleyball’s annual Pink Out fundraiser game taking place Tuesday at 6:45 p.m. against Frisco High School at the Nest.

“Every year we try to do a ‘Dig Pink’ match where we focus on the support to raise money for breast cancer and awareness,” head coach Clark Oberle said. “We will have a QR code where we will send out a code so people can donate to help raise funds for that.”

Monetary donations will not be the only way for fans to show their support as they will also be encouraged to dress in pink to show their support for the cause.

“We usually wear pink socks, shoestrings, bows and other stuff like that just with it being breast cancer awareness month because that affects so many people,” Oberle said.

The Redhawks have maintained a fairly consistent .500 record in District 9-5A play winning close to every other game they play.

“We have had lots of ups and downs this year,” Oberle said. “Last Tuesday we won a big match against Reedy who had not lost yet in districts so that was a huge win for us but then we came out Friday and lost a heartbreaker to Memorial.”

Coming into Tuesday’s contest, the Redhawks (5-6) sit in 7th place in District 9-5A, with Frisco (3-8) in 8th place with Oberle knowing the team needs another win to have any chance at the postseason.

“Frisco we beat in the first half, so for us to make playoffs, we need to beat them again Tuesday,” Oberle said. “Each game should be of equal importance but this is one we really need to win.”