Some students unsure about getting COVID-19 booster shot

The FDA has approved the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for children from ages 5-11 leading FISD to email parents that all students under 12 will return to on-campus learning on Jan. 4, 2022.

More than 51% of Texas are fully vaccinated according to Our World in Data and the CDC has announced that after six months of being fully vaccinated, some people should get Pfizer-BioNTech booster shot to increase chances of fighting off the SARS Covid-19 virus.

I believe we can best serve the nation’s public health needs by providing booster doses for the elderly, those in long-term care facilities, people with underlying medical conditions, and for adults at high risk of disease from occupational and institutional exposures to COVID-19,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said in a CDC news release. “This aligns with the FDA’s booster authorization and makes these groups eligible for a booster shot. Today, ACIP only reviewed data for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. We will address, with the same sense of urgency, recommendations for the Moderna and J&J vaccines as soon as those data are available.”

Sophomore Gia Singh believes that everyone should consider getting the booster shot even if they are already vaccinated. 

“Honestly I encourage everyone to get the booster shot because we should do everything we can to keep our community safe,” Singh said. “As schools have started in person again, we should be even more careful as the decisions we make will impact all the students and teachers at school.”

Junior Samhitha Radhakrishnan, however, doesn’t plan on getting the booster shot as of yet, since she believes her being fully vaccinated will help fight off the virus.

I’ll personally not be getting the booster since I’m not immunocompromised and I want those who’re in the most danger to get the shot first,

— senior Neha Jarabandi

“I haven’t had the booster shot [since] I have had the original first two since last year,” Radhakrishnan said. “I think it’s a great idea to get one for someone with low immunity or if their immune system has not fully responded to the first two shots of the vaccine yet.”

Similarly, senior Neha Jarabandi plans on waiting to get the shot to allow those who need it more to get the booster shot first.

“I think the COVID-19 booster shots are a great way to keep ourselves protected,” Jarabandi said. “However, I’ll personally not be getting the booster since I’m not immunocompromised and I want those who’re in the most danger to get the shot first. If the pandemic continues to get more serious though, I’ll probably get the shot to keep me and those around me safe.”