AP Government turns terms into a story

Dea-Mallika Divi

AP government students worked on compiling their vocab terms in such a way to create a storybook. This project allows students to be rewarded for not only their knowledge of the content, but their creativity as well,

Shreya Jagan, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The introduction of a new AP Government project required students to not only compile content into a storybook, it also gave students the opportunity to highlight their creativity and dedication to the project for extra credit points.  

“Basically, the outline of the project is that students are required to create a book filled with various terms in a cohesive manner so that it tells a story,” AP Government teacher Amanda Peters said. “It gets students thinking and allows them to dive head first into the underlying meanings behind each term.”

With two days to work on the project, students had to be committed from the beginning in order to succeed.

“It took a good week’s worth of commitment outside of class time,” senior Aanvi Krishna said. “We had to create storylines, come up with a medium, print it out and be able to present. It was a lot of work. And the hardest part was definitely grouping and figuring out how to use the terms in a fun and creative way that was more than just a presentation.” 

Students were encouraged to dress comfortably, bring stuffed animals, and food for a series of bonus points. 

“The whole point of this is for students to learn the content,” Peters said. “But, I want students to enjoy that process as well. Having them create this collaborative and fun environment really reiterates how I want students to view this course.”

Ultimately, senior Tushamma Rahim believes that this project offered up a new perspective. 

“Not only am I proud of the effort I put into it, I’m glad I got the opportunity to showcase how my creativity functions through this project,” Rahim said. “I really think that it allowed me to mix both information and entertainment into one entity. Seeing all the different projects just shows how diverse our creativity and minds are when approaching the same project.”