Girls’ golf rolls out of district tournament

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

It’s district tournament time for the Redhawks golf program and the girls’ team took the course at Sherrill Park Golf Course in Richardson on Monday and Tuesday in the District 9-5A tournament, finishing in 6th place.

The team shot a cumulative score of 367 on Monday followed by a score of 384 on Tuesday combining for a total score of 751, 175 strokes over par. The team consisted of 7 members the first day, adding in sophomore Ashley Zhang on the second day.

The girls have played well throughout the season, but we struggled at the district tournament,” head coach Shannon Glidwell said. “We started well out of the gate, but struggled as the wind continued to pick up its intensity.”

Although the team did not meet their expectations, they remain optimistic for years to come.

“We ended the tournament in 6th place, but the team is young and we have learned many lessons that will help us in the future,” Glidwell said.

However, disappointment did not end there as less than five minutes before the boys’ were set to leave for their tournament Wednesday and Thursday in Irving, rain pushed things back. 

“Mentally it set me back because I was coming into today prepared for harsh conditions just for it to be postponed moments before we had to leave,” junior Braden Cobb said.

The team is now scheduled to compete Thursday and Monday.

Determined to keep his team’s spirits lifted, Glidwell believes his team has the ability to come out strong.

​​”We enter with high expectations,” Glidwell said. “Our goal is to win the district tournament and earn a spot in the regional tournament.”