It’s how they roll

Percussion students stick together at Thursday morning rehearsals

Pictured: the percussion program practices in the band hall. In order to prepare for an upcoming concert on April 29, the Redhawk percussion ensemble is meeting each Thursday morning. This has given junior Kathryn Hung opportunity to play alongside the rest of her full section, something she believes doesnt happen very often.

Kennedy Williams

Pictured: the percussion program practices in the band hall. In order to prepare for an upcoming concert on April 29, the Redhawk percussion ensemble is meeting each Thursday morning. This has given junior Kathryn Hung opportunity to play alongside the rest of her full section, something she believes doesn’t happen very often.

Gabriella Demartin, Guest Contributor

Rehearsing for its upcoming April 29 concert, the percussion ensemble is meeting Thursday mornings from 7:45-8:45 a.m. 

“The rehearsals are definitely beneficial because they’re a lot of help since they give the organization that we need to get together,” freshman Mason Suzuki said. “It gives us time to work together and make sure things sound good.”

Getting up early isn’t ideal for junior Kathryn Hung, but being able to play with the rest of the percussion ensemble is worth it.

“I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily excited, because I do have to wake up really early,” Hung said. “Personally I haven’t been able to play with the rest of the section, like fully, in a really long time, so I am excited because I get to hear the whole thing and play with them.”

Freshman percussionist Claire Graham also believes that rehearsals provide an opportunity for collaboration. 

“I think rehearsals are helpful because they call me out, keep me accountable, and drive me to practice,” Graham said. “Rehearsals have helped me personally get better as a player and taught me resilience.”