Knights topple Redhawks in a tight match

Amelia Jauregui

Freshman Milla Dopson tosses the ball and prepares to swing on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2019 against Memorial High School.

Haley Ward, Sports Editor

The tennis team played in another tight match, as they went head to head with the Independence Knights on Tuesday and fell in a close 10-9 match.

“We lost 10-9 to the seventh ranked team in the state,” head coach Erica Dopson said. “The team played so well, and it came down to just a few points difference. The fight in this team is so impressive.”

Although the team did not come out on top, senior Vinh-hy Ton believes that the team showed their progress through the season in this match.

“It was a really tough match, everyone played their best for sure,” Ton said. “Independence has always been a really strong school, and last night everyone did the best they could. Again they’re just a really tough school, and we were expected to lose but the fact that we got 10-9, it really does say a lot that our team has come a long way from a lot of progress.”

The Redhawks take the court again on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. at The Nest, as they complete their match against Memorial that was postponed due to weather conditions.

“We will finish our rained out match with Memorial on Wednesday,” Dopson said. “The team is doing well and winning.”