Volleyball secures spot at first

Redhawk volleyball becomes the only undefeated team in District 10-5A

Hector Varela

The Redhawk volleyball team secured a 3-1 win over the Independence Knights, placing them at first in District 10-5A. The Redhawks are now the only undefeated team in District 10-5A, and feel more confident going into the second round of district.

Haley Ward, Sports Editor

The volleyball team faced the previously undefeated Independence Knights on Friday, and earned a 3-1 win, securing the Redhawks spot at first in District 10-5A.

“The team had a slow first set, but then played amazing sets 2-4. We executed our scouting report perfectly,” head coach Eighmy Dobbins said. “The team is feeling really confident, and it makes us excited for the second round of district coming up.”

Both teams went into Friday’s game undefeated, so the win meant more for players such as junior Mary Jane McCurdy.  

“We played so good, we came out slow in the beginning but really picked it up the last three sets,” McCurdy said. “Our motivation came from our energy and wanting to work hard for the rest of the team. Being undefeated is very motivating because getting first in district would give us the best chance to go far in playoffs.”

This win gives the team momentum and confidence heading into the second round of district play.

“I think we played our best game against independence because we went into it knowing it was going to be challenging and we would have to play scrappy,” freshman Jaiden Harris said. “I feel like the win against independence gave us confidence as a team and we will continue to win if we keep the momentum.”

This year is Dobbins first year as head coach after serving as an assistant coach for two years, so the success of the team this season means a lot.

“It’s been an awesome experience,” Dobbins said. “I am lucky to have such committed players who are invested in the program. Their hard work is finally paying off and I am glad to be a part of it.”