Student in the past, teacher in the present

• Yasmine Secrist made her way back to Liberty after graduating, however, she wasn’t just a visitor. Almost ten years after graduating, Secrist is now back on campus teaching math.

• While much has changed in the years Secrist has been gone, some of the staff have remained, making Secrist’s former teachers her current colleagues. Kelli Duckworth (right) taught Secrist years ago, and now, they work together teaching math on campus.

• In her time at Liberty as a student, Secrist was on the wrestling team. Now, as a teacher, she understands what its like for students to juggle academics, athletics and a social life.

• Secrist experiences many of the same high school memories that her students go through, such as Homecoming week and wearing mums. While much has changed, Secrist is able to show the same school spirit she did as a teenager.

• Now as a teacher, Secrist (right) continues to participate in school dress up days. For Twin Day, she twinned with math teacher Cynthia Kays (left).

The last time math teacher Yasmine Secrist walked through the halls of the campus was back in 2013 when she was a student herself. 

During her four years as a Redhawk, Secrist had not only participated in the school’s traditions and events, but also the challenge and rigor of being an athlete and a student in the campus’ higher level courses. 

“I had a lot of school spirit, so I would be at most of the football, volleyball, [and] basketball games [as well as] plays and dance recitals,” Secrist said. “My life was [also] dominated by wrestling from my sophomore to senior year. So, I lived that student-athlete life, juggling a full-time sport and AP classes, eventually a job my senior year.” 

So, when Liberty was looking for a math teacher, I was eager to have an interview with them at the job fair this summer,

— teacher Yasmine Secrist

Fast forward nine years later, and Secrist is retracing the same path she had traveled across the school’s halls; however, this time, as a teacher. 

“The last school I worked at, a lot of their alumni came back to work at the school they graduated from, and I always thought that that speaks to the school that a student would want to return to the building that influenced them during their teen years,” Secrist said. “So, when Liberty was looking for a math teacher, I was eager to have an interview with them at the job fair this summer.”

By returning as a teacher, Secrist has been able to see the differentiations and changes that have been made since she was last on campus. 

“[To me], the dress code is [probably] the biggest change [as] I remember trying to hide from the APs or always having to show my shorts or skirts were fingertip length or my shirts were long enough to cover my behind; however, [now], there is a lot of freedom in the dress code,” Secrist said. “[Additionally], the grading system is another change [to me], but I know standard based grading is an educational trend a lot of school districts are trying to adopt.” 

Secrist has also had to make adjustments from transitioning from being a former student to a current colleague with her past teachers. 

I love working with her [and] I think that teaching alongside her is great and fun,

— teacher Kelli Duckworth

“There are a good number of teachers that taught me and about 10+ teachers and coaches that were working here while I attended,” Secrist said. “It is weird to be working with them as colleagues [as] I just don’t think I can ever call them by their first names, but they were so welcoming and also had great advice.” 

For former teacher and present-day colleague Kelli Duckworth though, working with one of her past students in the same department is one full of enjoyment and ease. 

“To me, I look at her as a colleague, which is easy, but for her, which I understand, she continues to see me as a teacher,” Duckworth said. “[Despite that], I love working with her [and] I think that teaching alongside her is great and fun.”

Even with the changes and adjustments, Secrist has found her first couple of weeks teaching on campus enjoyable and rewarding.

“My experience as a teacher at Liberty has been good so far,” Secrist said.”Liberty helped shaped me as a better student and prepare me for the rigors of college, so I love that I get to be a part of molding students to be not just productive in their studies but also as global citizens.”

I love that I get to be a part of molding students to be not just productive in their studies but also as global citizens

— teacher Yasmine Secrist

As Secrist continues her career, she hopes to be an inspiration to the Redhawks on campus and teach them that high school is worthwhile and fun. 

“I hope that I can be a pillar at Liberty just as my teachers are now [as] the world of education is experiencing waves of teachers leaving the classroom, so to see my teachers still here makes me want to be that for my students one day,” Secrist said. “I [also] want the students here to learn that high school is what you make it and to have fun and be studious.”