Girls’ basketball cages the Wolves

Shreyas Viswanathan

The Redhawks girls’ basketball team saw a win over the Centennial Titans on Friday at The Nest. The win holds the team’s first place rank in District 10-5A, and brings their record to 7-1.

Haley Ward, Sports Editor

The girls’ basketball team took down 6A Plano West  42-37 on Wednesday.

“I think our girls came out with really good energy early on and executed offensively pretty well,” associate head coach Dawnielle Kiel said. “We’ve had a few players out with injuries as of lately, so it was good to be able to play everyone and get back to building the chemistry, defensively we struggled.”

Freshman Lilian Johnson believes they have more to prove. 

“Last night’s game was okay. There are things we can learn from it,” Johnson said. “The team is working on becoming more fluid on the court.”

According to Kiel, the team still has room for improvement moving forward in the season.

“I think we have high expectations for this group, so there are things that we did well and we were happy to see,” Kiel said. “There were also some areas that we needed to improve. Plano West is a really good team and I thought their zone disrupted us a little bit causing us to struggle from the three point line, but we found different ways to score inside.”