Martin takes broadcasting from the classroom to the sidelines

• Senior broadcast student, Luke Martin, got a close look into professional sports attending the Big 12 Championship game on the sidelines and the Dallas Mavericks Media Day. Besides Martin, other students have also received similar opportunities.

• Sports have always been a major part in Luke’s life, and these opportunities give him a taste of professional sports broadcasting. The skills he learned at these events will be useful in college.

• Luke is paving the way for future students on campus. “Not only does this open the door for sports events, but also other big events in the Dallas area to get more real world opportunities,” junior Ryan Shapiro said.

• Luke took the initiative of reaching out to the Mavericks and the Big 12 Media Director, and was able to cover the events for Wingspan. “It actually wasn’t as nerve racking as I thought it would be because it seemed like they wanted me to go,” Luke said.

• As graduation nears, these events gave Luke an opportunity to try out professional broadcasting. “I believe this will help him discover his path professionally moving forward by having these experiences now in high school,” dad Will Martin said.

From the WTV newsroom to inside access at American Airlines Center and the sidelines at AT&T Stadium, senior broadcast student Luke Martin is getting the opportunity to get an up close look into professional sports by going to the Big 12 Championship game and the Dallas Mavericks Media Day.

“The atmosphere of these events were both very exciting, especially the Big 12 Championship as it was in AT&T Stadium,” Luke said. “I got to experience all the action from the game, sidelines, and fans from a different perspective.”

I got to experience all the action from the game, sidelines, and fans from a different perspective

— Senior Luke Martin

By reaching out and requesting media credentials, he was able to cover these events for Wingspan.

“For both events, I got to go to them by emailing the Media Director,” Luke said. “It actually wasn’t as nerve racking as I thought it would be because it seemed like they wanted me to go.”

His dad, Will Martin, as an avid sports fan, appreciated Luke getting these experiences.

“I was extremely excited to hear that Luke was going to be able to cover the events,” Will said. “Even more so that he reached out to the Mavs and the Big 12 Media Director on his own to find out if he could work both events.”

Like his father, sports has been an immense part of Luke’s life so he was able to apply his knowledge.

“I have been a huge sports fan my entire life so I was super excited to get the chance to capture these events in person because I know everything going on in the Big 12 and the Mavs,” Luke said. “When I was there, I felt a little out of place and nervous being the only highschooler but after getting used to it, I enjoyed it and was proud that I was out there.”

Covering these events, Luke got to experience once in a lifetime events and get a feel of what it would be like to be a professional sports journalist.

“I got to interact with some of my favorite NBA players at the media day,” Luke said “The best part of the Big 12 game was getting to rush the field after Kansas State won in overtime.”

Fellow broadcast student and friend, junior Ryan Shapiro, believes Luke experiences are changing the playing field for all journalism students on campus. 

“I think it’s a really good opportunity for Luke and other sports enthusiasts in the future,” Shapiro said. “Not only does this open the door for sports events, but also other big events in the Dallas area to get more real world opportunities.”

Will dad feels like these experiences will give his son skills he can use in college and his career.

I believe this will help him discover his path professionally moving forward by having these experiences now in high school

— Dad Will Martin

“This gives Luke real world experience at the high school level,” Will said. “I believe this will help him discover his path professionally moving forward by having these experiences now in high school.”

Getting the chance to report on the same events as professionals equipped Luke with new skills as he moves closer to graduation. 

“The biggest thing I learned from these events was how to properly communicate and act in professional sports media settings,” Luke said. “Both of these events were amazing experiences that I believe will greatly benefit me in the future.”