Soccer battles the Knights on the field

Troy Williams

The soccer teams are gearing up to face the Independence Knights on Tuesday. With a four day break due to an ice storm, the teams are aiming to still come out strong.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

Both boys and girls soccer take on the Independence Knights in District 10-5A play on Tuesday, with the girls home, and the boys away at Independence.

“The momentum we had built up to that point, I think we just kinda got stopped, and we gotta kinda get that engine going again,” head girls soccer coach Kyle Beggs said. “I definitely think we picked it kinda back up and kinda brushed off the rust in that Memorial game, we will get them next time, and the girls did good against Heritage on Saturday, and we just keep moving on.”

Both teams took a week’s break, during an ice storm that hit Texas and was forced to make up games on Friday and Saturday. 

“I hope to recover from my injury,” sophomore Hector Jenkinson said. “But as a team, our goal is to win games and avoid making mistakes. Im not nervous because I know my ability and everyone else’s ability.”

But with rain in the forecast Tuesday, the weather will again affect both teams. 

“It will be harder to control the ball, and it’s probably gonna be a little bit messier out there,” sophomore Lily Gibbons said. “We just have to connect together and pass the ball well. Independence is supposed to be good, and hopefully, we score early because the game could end at half.”