Soccer kicks off district play

Troy Williams

The soccer teams hit the field Wednesday with the girls’ kicking off district play. The girls face Centennial High School, while the boys take on Diamond-Hill Jarvis.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

Girls’ soccer will be kicking off their season against Centennial Wednesday in their first game of District 10-5A play. 

“We want to start off on the right foot with a win, because that is gonna carry us far,” head coach Kyle Beggs said. “Not that the other ones didn’t matter, but now they are a little bit more important. A win gives us three points and starts us off on the right foot in district.” 

Originally supposed to be held on Tuesday, both boys’ and girls’ games were postponed due to weather.

“We have to look into just what the weather conditions are gonna be obviously, and the safety of the athletes, that’s the biggest thing,” Beggs said. “So we moved from Tuesday night to Wednesday because there is a chance of freezing rain, and while you could play soccer in, it usually doesn’t make for a very good game because teams can’t do what they want to do with the ball.”

The postponement brings more stress for sophomore Lily Gibbons.

“It is more nerve-wracking because I have to think about it longer and to prepare myself,” Gibbons said. “I just hope definitely to win and for myself just to play the hardest, I can play and do my best.”

But the postponement will not affect the boys as they have one more week until district play starts. The team takes on Diamond-Hill Jarvis in their final non-district game Wednesday. “I’m not too nervous going into this game, because even though it’s our last game before the actual season and it got delayed,” junior Akshat Singh said. “We will still be experimenting with our tactics in preparation for our much more important game against Heritage next week. Our main goal going into this game is to hopefully win and use it as confidence going into our first game of the season.”