Remember the Alamo: girls’ basketball can’t forget

Redhawks return to state tournament for 5th time

Courtesy of @RedhawkBall

The girls’ basketball team hit the last stop in their journey: the UIL 5A state tournament. For the fifth time in school history, the girls’ basketball team is making an appearance with hopes of taking home the title.

With a shot at the state title, the girls’ basketball team travels south to the UIL 5A state tournament to face off against San Antonio Wagner on Thursday at 7 p.m. in a state semifinal game at the Alamodome.

With four previous state appearances in 2016, 2019, 2020, and 2021, heading to San Antonio for a chance at a state championship is something the team just can’t forget.

Every year is unique and it never feels the same,

— head coach Ross Reedy

“Every year is unique and it never feels the same,” head coach Ross Reedy said. “With this group it has been good for me personally because it took a little longer for this team to come together because of natural reasons and injuries. This team is really starting to vibe and enjoy each other and, and so it’s only been different in the sense of how much continuing to win has been needed for us to have a full realization of what we are together.”

After winning the regional tournament on Feb. 25, the girls’ spirits are high. 

“Our first game is going to be pretty tough so we are all just locking in and working hard to get that ring,” junior Keyera Roseby said. “When we won regionals we were super excited and it was a surreal feeling making it to state.”

Freshman Jacy Abii takes on her first state tournament on Thursday and is ready to earn the title.

“At first I didn’t realize how big of a deal it is to be going to state along with it being my first year,” Abii said. “But I am honestly ready for our ring.”

The team bonding moments that come with the state tournament is what makes it special for freshman Lilian Johnson.

“I’m looking forward to taking the charter bus and staying at the hotel with the team,” Johnson said. “I feel super grateful to get to experience this as a freshman.”

I am honestly ready for our ring,

— freshman Jacy Abii

Keeping the team mentally prepared, coach Reedy is pushing the girls to remember what they are there for.

“We are focusing on ensuring that we understand that we’re there to play basketball, because when you go on a big trip and you go to San Antonio and there’s bells and whistles, it’s really easy to get caught up in the excitement of everything,” Reedy said. “We’re really just here to play basketball games, and so we are focusing on doing our regular routine, despite being in a different environment.”