Redhawks return to state tournament for 5th time

Girls’ basketball moves to state tournament with a win over McKinney North

• The Redhawk girls’ basketball team earned the title of regional champions, beating the previously undefeated Mt. Pleasant on Friday and going 57-47 against McKinney North on Saturday, securing their spot at the UIL 5A State tournament. This is the team’s fouth trip in the last five years.

• Leading 27-20, Redhawks senior Jezelle Jolie Moreno looks to pass as freshman (#21) Lilian Johnson and head coach Ross Reedy look on. Moreno was convert a 3-point play late in the game to help the Redhawks pull away for a 57-47 win over McKinney North.

• While some of the team has experience going to state, with this being the Redhawks fourth trip in the last five years, others, such as freshman Lilian Johnson, are experiencing it for the first time. “I was very happy and excited to become regional champs,” Johnson said. “When the game ended everyone was jumping up and down, people were crying and hugging each other. It was cool seeing our hard work paying off.”

• Leading the team on Saturday, Junior Keyera Roseby scored 23 points against McKinney North, on her 17th birthday nonetheless. “I did not have a great first half and I knew coming out that I had to come out stronger and provide more for my team,” Roseby said. “Things started opening up so I took chances and was successful. We were super excited about becoming regional champs and it was a surreal feeling. Pretty sure everyone was smiling ear to ear.”

• As senior Jezelle Jolie Moreno cuts through the lane, freshman Jacy Abii dribbles outside the 3-point line during the Redhawks 5A Regional final on Saturday in Garland. Abii would kick start the Redhawks in the first half, scoring 10 of her 12 points.

• The team will go on to face San Antonio Wagner in the State quarter final on Thursday. If they win, they will advance on to Saturday.

The girls’ basketball team earned the title of regional champions, beating previsouly undefeated Mt. Pleasant on Friday and 57-47 against McKinney North on Saturday, at the Curtis Culwell Center, securing their spot at the UIL 5A State tournament

“I was really happy for the kids obviously, they have gone through a lot this year in the sense that there has been a lot of adversity with injuries and being out and other people stepping up,” head coach Ross Reedy said. “So to kind of see this group come collectively together at this moment and win some big games and it is such a cool collection of youth talent and experienced seniors so it was just a joy for the kids.”

Junior Keyera Roseby led the team on Saturday, scoring 23 points against McKinney North on her 17th birthday.

We were super excited about becoming regional champs and it was a surreal feeling. Pretty sure everyone was smiling ear to ear,

— junior Keyera Roseby

“I did not have a great first half and I knew coming out that I had to come out stronger and provide more for my team,” Roseby said. “Things started opening up so I took chances and was successful. We were super excited about becoming regional champs and it was a surreal feeling. Pretty sure everyone was smiling ear to ear.”

For several of the Redhawks, going to state is nothing new as this is the team’s fouth trip in the last five years. But for freshman Lilian Johnson, it’s a new experience.

“I was very happy and excited to become regional champs,” Johnson said. “When the game ended everyone was jumping up and down, people were crying and hugging each other. It was cool seeing our hard work paying off.”

Helping Roseby pace the Redhawks scoring, was freshman Jacy Abii who finished with 12 points and four steals. 

“We played really good, everyone got their share and although we got kind of beaten up our spirits have been going through the roof along with our team chemistry,” Abii said. “My personal reaction was very shocked and honestly I barely had a clue of what was going on.”