HOSA qualifies for internationals from Galveston

The students traveled with fellow competitors from the CTE, Centennial High School and Heritage High School chapters.

HOSA, an organization for future health professionals, traveled to Galveston over the weekend to compete at the Texas state convention. From Wednesday to Saturday, students enjoyed the trip by visiting the beach, Moody Gardens and the pier while they were not in competition. In addition to those who participated in recognition events, select competitors placed high enough to advance to international competition later in the year including seniors Naishel Patel and Angel Thampy and juniors Justin Lee and Amy Abraham.

While off of competition, the HOSA competitors visited Galveston sites including the popular Pleasure Pier.

“Going to Galveston with HOSA was one of the coolest things I’ve done in high school,” Abraham said. “Not only do I love HOSA as an organization but I also got to be there with some of my best friends and my sister. It was basically another break from school but we got to have fun while learning even more about healthcare careers. It was just an amazing time.”

Senior Shahir Ahmed took first place in the Job-Seeking Skills event after placing just third in the Area competition in February, narrowly qualifying him for the state conference.

Junior Justin Lee placed third in Epidemiology and will advance to internationals.

“I didn’t even think I was going to place at all at state,” Ahmed said. “Sure, I’m confident with my interviewing skills, but there are so many good people from across the state, too. It was unreal. It’s still unreal really.”

The HOSA International Leadership Conference will take place in Nashville, Tennessee from June 22 to June 25.