• April 26 is a bad weather make-up day (if needed)
  • Prom tickets are on sale, and the dance is on April 13

Tracing the lines

From abstract to realism, Art 2 students’ are shifting their focus to contour lines by tracing multiple drawings to create a new piece.

“This is actually the first time that I have done this contour project before where we’re working with multiple contour drawings and then tracing those contour drawings and turning it into a different composition,” art teacher Emily deLarios said. So it’s really I didn’t know what to expect. But I’m really pleasantly surprised by the way people are choosing to combine their contour drawings and turn them into a bigger composition. And then we’re going to come back and add value or color or pattern, and then they’re going to kind of turn into their own finished artworks.”

I’m really pleasantly surprised by the way people are choosing to combine their contour drawings and turn them into a bigger composition,

— art teacher Emily deLarios

The first time deLarios has done this project, she’s impressed by the student’s creativity.

“My favorite part so far is just seeing what students are coming up with as they’re putting this together because like I said, I haven’t done this one before,” deLarios said. “And so when sometimes I know something is going to work, but I don’t know exactly how, and then it’s always amazing to see what our talented students can come up with.”

With the light boxes in class being used, junior Tuhina Das took their art outside of the classroom yesterday. 

“So the back lighting from the rotunda windows helps with adding the tracing onto the drawing paper,” Das said. “Basically what it’s doing is like we have our piece of tracing paper attached to the back of our actual drawing paper. So in order to transfer stuff and see the lines of the paper underneath, we need a backlit source. So the rotunda windows offer that lighting and it’s a pretty cool place to work in.” 

Although the process can be a bit monotonous for sophomore Sydney Kylie, she’s excited to see the final product.

So the back lighting from the rotunda windows helps with adding the tracing onto the drawing paper,

— junior Tuhina Das

“It’s kind of repetitive because you have to repeat and trace a lot of stuff,” Kylie said. “Like, yet we do contour drawings. Then we had to trace those onto the tracer paper a bunch of times. Then we have to trace the tracer paper onto the final paper, and then we’re gonna have to trace that with Sharpie. Yeah. You can kind of like merge things and I kind of like looks weird when they fit together, which is really cool. And then if you like, look at it one like it looks like one thing. And if you look at it another way, it looks like something else.”