April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

Artistic Expressions: Christine Wu

provided by Christine Wu
Staff reporter Nidhi Thomas sits down with sophomore Christine Wu to talk about her Instagram page where she writes poems. In this interview, she reflects on her experience with writing and the inspiration behind starting her account.

Name: Christine Wu

Grade: sophomore

Experience: six months

Wingspan: How did the idea to start an instagram page for your poetry come up? 

Wu: “The idea of starting an instagram page for poetry came up during April-May of last year. I saw many videos of it and bought a really inspirational poetry book called “Getting Over You;” I think that’s what pushed me to finally try writing my own, and ever since my first one it came really naturally. But mainly it was the support from my friends and their encouragement for me to share it online.” 

How long have you been writing, was it before you started the account? 

Wu: “I actually started writing only a little bit before I started the account; I’m not serious about it, I just discovered I could do it and thought it’d be fun to share!” 

Why is writing poetry important to you?

Wu: “I started writing poetry as a way to release my emotions and as a way of journaling, I thought that it’d be useful to turn my thoughts into art since I love all art forms; even though I haven’t been posting poetry anymore, I still write it in my spare time [because] it can be a great coping mechanism!”

What’s one piece you’ve written that you’re proud of and why? 

Wu: “The piece that I’m most proud of is probably my first one, it made me realize I could write my feelings into something more powerful. I genuinely didn’t know I could rhyme and it’s what inspired me to write more, as well as recognize my own feelings.” 

Do you think poetry is underappreciated? If so, why do you think people should appreciate it more? 

Wu: “I think poetry is very underappreciated, specifically short poetry, people think that it’s written and read for public entertainment, but really it’s a way of self expression; the poetry books I’ve read had really helped with my mental health and helped me decide what’s best for me and what to do with life choices.”