Fine Arts comes together to compose Winter Extravaganza

Haley W
Fine Arts all came together to put on Winter Extravaganza Thursday and Friday. The show features band, color guard, orchestra, Red Rhythm, and theatre.

Fine arts come together on Friday at 7 p.m. for the last showing of the Winter Extravaganza. The show includes performances by orchestra, band, choir, color guard, dance, drill team, and theater. 

“I’m in the Camerata orchestra, and our group is going to be playing four pieces on stage,” orchestra president Abigail So said. “We’ll also be doing a small ensemble with some other extra members, as well as playing guitar for choir.”

The last Winter Extravaganza was two years ago, so this is a special moment for So as a senior.

“Since my last one was sophomore year, we didn’t get to do it last year,” So said. “So I am really looking forward to just playing with the band and seeing all the other groups.”

This performance gives the orchestra and the band the opportunity to play alongside each other. 

“In the weeks leading up to Winter Extravaganza, we would take time from our band class period to combine with the orchestra and practice on our full-orchestra pieces,” drum major, senior Hannah Lee said. “Sometimes we would rehearse during advisory to get time to practice with our percussionists. In rehearsal, we just practice on playing through the piece and making sure the orchestra and band sound mixes well.”

Two pieces from the performance feature guest artists.

“In two of our pieces we have guest musicians like a tenor singer and a bagpipe player to come and feature in our songs so we had to rehearse with them too before the concert began,” Lee said. “It was a challenge to coordinate across all the different groups, but it was super fun to put a show like this together.”

Red Rhythm is also making their way to the stage for the performance, and for senior and Red Rhythm captain Reva Kabnurkar, performing their classic hoop routine will be extra special on Friday.

“We have been working hard editing our field hoop routine to fit on the stage,” Kabnurkar said. “We have had morning practices all last week working on this updated choreography. This dance is super special, especially to seniors because this is our last time performing our hoop routine. Hoop is really important to me because it’s the only dance I’ve done every single year since My freshman year.”

For Red Rhythm president, senior Lily Leyden, the unity of all of the fine arts on campus makes the show a hit.

“Winter Extravaganza is fun because all of the fine arts get to come together,” Leyden said. “It is so fun to see the talents that other groups on campus have.”

The show also features performances by the color guard team.

“We will be performing multiple pieces,” color guard captain and senior Ashton Hatch said. “There is a bigger flag performance to Underneath the Christmas Tree, a rifle line to Oh Santa, another rifle line to Rockin Around the Christmas Tree, and the officers will be performing with the officers from Red Rhythm.”

Some students are a part of two fine arts on campus,  such as sophomore Rupal Shirpurkar.

“Being a part of two is a little stressful,” Shirpurkar said. “Learning like three things and then also learning a very big and complex music piece. But overall it’s very fun knowing I get to perform for two different programs.”