• Fall semester ends Jan. 12

• Winter break Dec. 18 - Jan. 3

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Broadcast Pacemaker

Filed under News

UIL academic championships on the line for eight

Eight students are in Austin Friday and Saturday for the UIL State Academic Meet with the hope of adding more trophies to the UIL trophy case in the C Hall by the library.

Rahmin Jawaid

Eight students and their coaches are in Austin Friday and Saturday for the 2017 UIL State Academic meet with the science team, computer science team and a debate student advancing from the 5A Region II meet.

Jeff Schrantz
The science team is seeking its second straight state championship after capturing the team title in 2016.

“As much as I try to deemphasis the results and just focus on improvement, it’s tough to do that at the state meet,” Schrantz said. “When we send teams to state, we want them to do, first of all, their best and whatever place that gets them if it’s their best, we’re happy with that.”

The science team of seniors Bill Wang, Jane Zhang and Karthik Dharmalingam and junior Sai Koukuntla is seeking the school’s straight second team championship in the event.

“Last year we won state as a school in science,” Schrantz said. “It was only our second ever team state championship so I know our students are really focused on trying to defend that title and win state for a second year in a row.”

Wang is doing what he can to help his team win consecutive championships.

“I take practice tests,” Wang said. “Practice tests are an easy way to find out to find out what you need to learn and you can review the question or learn those subjects independently. There’s also a book we have to read and basically you just read the book. There’s not really any other way to prepare for that.”

For computer science team member junior Ben Wyatt, the UIL State Meet is about more than the competition.

provided by Jeff Schrantz
Science coach Leah Beck (L) and campus UIL coordinator Jeff Schrantz (R) along with the 2016 science team.

“I’d like some experience in the computer science field,” Wyatt said. “Being able to go to the state meet and talk to people at the University of Texas and other people in high school that are looking towards the same career path that I am will be a good experience for me.”

Friday and Saturday’s competitions are the end of a long road that began with UIL invitational meets in January.

“Most of our teams are preparing by meeting even more frequently with their coaches,” Schrantz said. “It’s nothing different that we’ve been doing in the lead up, it’s just getting a little more intense and people are just trying to make sure they don’t miss any practice sessions.”