Boys’ basketball aiming to soar over break

Harley Classe

The boys’ basketball team scored another win on Friday against the Memorial Warriors. They scored 92 points in the game and earned the district championship.

Vaughn Perez, Sports Reporter

The boys’ basketball team is looking to have a busy start to Thanksgiving Break, with the Redhawks playing the Naaman Forest Rangers at 7:00 p.m. and then on Monday, they’ll be heading to Lone Star High School for the Lone Star Shootout.

“To beat Naaman we need to play hard, play smart, play together,” head coach Stephen Friar said. “We didn’t play to our standard last game so we’ve been focusing on ourselves, limiting turnovers, playing solid defense, and highlighting strengths.”

Senior Jake Harvey believes the key to shut down Naaman is by slowing them down and not giving them opportunities to break away.

“They like to play fast and fly around the court, so as long as we control the pace and play methodical, we’ll have a good chance at winning,” Harvey said. “We’ve gone through multiple offensive and defensive strategies that can give us an advantage.”

The Redhawks will be playing four games over the span of two days during the Lone Star Shootout, looking to scout out potential district opponents.

“We’re looking forward to playing against good competition, this will be a good base to see how we stand with some teams in our district,” coach Friar said. “We’re looking to have a better idea of the type of team we are and how we can improve moving forward, while making sure to stay healthy and building that team foundation.”