Soccer kicks off their season

Troy Williams

The girls’ soccer team enters playoffs for the first time in five years as they face the Frisco Raccoons. The team knows a challenge is ahead, but they are ready to gain a win on Thursday.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

Boys’ and girls’ soccer step onto the pitch Tuesday for non-district games, with thegirls facing off against Princeton at the Nest and the boys playing Little Elm away.

“While this game is not a district and will not count for playoff standings, it’s important to work together as a team and build that chemistry,” girls’ head coach Kyle Beggs said. “It’s also important to establish good habits. That way, once we are playing games that count for playoff standings, we have already formed good habits.”

The girls’ first district game is Jan. 24 against Centennial.

“The importance of these non-district games is it teaches coordination and helps people learn how to work as a team,” sophmore Lily Gibbons said. “We need to build this chemistry before district play.”

Winning 50-50 battles is something coach Beggs would like to see the girls accomplish against Princeton.

“These occur when the ball is played into space and a player from either team could win the ball,” Beggs said. “We always want to win this battle because winning this statistical category is always a good indication that you’re outworking your opponents.”

Boys’ district play will start a little later, with their first game Feb. 3 against Memorial. But sophomore David Verduzco still has the same goals. 

“This game I hope to make a big impact and help bring the team to another victory, the more wins we get the more confident we will play,” Verduzco said. “ Its also helping us work better as a team, and identify our mistakes in preparation for our season games.”