Quotes from a 3rd Grade Class: unintentional role models

Harley Classe

In this weekly column, senior Harley Classe talks about her experiences as a third grade teacher.

Harley Classe, Editor-In-Chief

“Do they have that in my size?”

I was wearing a long, flowy white skirt with tan floral detailing on it and one of my third graders came over to hug me and noticed what I was wearing.

She ran her hands over the silky material and told me she really liked my skirt. She then followed the statement up with this quote.

I laughed. Thinking back to where I bought it, they probably didn’t, but it was still such a cute statement either way.

Teachers are some of the biggest role models in their students’ lives.

On average, a child spends more time with their teachers than with their parents during the school year. As a result, teachers have a lot more influence on their kids than they realize.

If we as individuals want to see a better tomorrow and a brighter future, then as teachers, we need to use this ‘power’ to the best of our ability.

Model what you want to see in the world as a teacher and more than likely, you will see that passion reflected in your students.

Kids are very impressionable. You just have to set the right impression. It is your job as a teacher to grow the minds of today to see a brighter tomorrow. That’s just how it is.