• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

May 2 Daily Update
May 2 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 2, 2024

WTV's Sadie Johnson brings you today's news and announcements, including NHS voting, UIL academics, and this week's edition of My Life As.

Texas four day school week

Guest contributor Leen Al-etain expresses an opinion on the four day school week model.

In recent years, there has been a growing trend across the United States for schools to switch to a four-day school week. And now, it seems that Texas may be joining in on this trend. Little Elm Independent School District, which borders Frisco Independent School District, is currently considering the switch to a four-day school week for the 2024-2025 school year.

As a student, I have mixed feelings about the prospect of having a four-day school week. On the one hand, having an extra day off every week would be great. It would allow for more time to rest, catch up on homework, and pursue extracurricular activities. It could also potentially save money on things like transportation and utilities, as the school would only need to be open four days a week instead of five.

However, there are also some potential drawbacks to a four-day school week. One concern is that students would have longer school days in order to fit in all the necessary instruction time. This could lead to fatigue and burnout, which could ultimately harm academic performance. Additionally, the longer school days could make it harder for students to balance school with other commitments, like jobs or family obligations.

Another concern is that a four-day school week could be detrimental to students from low-income families. These students may rely on the free or reduced-cost meals they receive at school, and a shorter school week could mean they have less access to these resources. Additionally, parents who work full-time may struggle to find affordable childcare for the extra day off.

Ultimately, whether or not a four-day school week is a good idea for Little Elm ISD will depend on a variety of factors. It is important for school administrators to carefully consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of this switch, as well as to consult with parents, students, and other stakeholders to ensure that everyone’s needs are being taken into account.

As a student, I believe that a four-day school week could be a positive change if implemented thoughtfully and with student well-being in mind. However, it is important to be cautious and to make sure that this change would not do more harm than good. Only time will tell if this trend will continue to spread across the United States, but for now, we can only wait and see what the future holds for schools like Little Elm ISD.