• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Love, Haley: 17 things to know when you turn 17

Haley Ward
In this weekly blog, senior Haley Ward shares a little bit of everything: deep dives on her favorite topics, her fashion favorites, and how to make the most out of your high school years.

Being 17 has been such a special year for me. It’s been a year where I have learned a lot of things about myself, and I have grown a lot in school and outside of school. 17 feels like the age where you are learning to be independent, while still having the comfort of your home and family. I only have a couple more months, being 17, and I thought it would be perfect to share my advice on 17 things to know when you turn 17!

1. Do things with a passion

I’ve always believed in putting your all into the things you care about. It could be a project in a class, or a position in an organization you have always wanted to earn, but putting your all into something will help you achieve more success! 

1. Set goals

Your goals can be big or small, but setting goals gives you things to work towards! Whether your goal is just something to have done by the end of the week, or it is a long term goal that will take many months, creating goals for yourself can really help motivate you to achieve the things you want to accomplish.

1. Give yourself breaks

Rome wasn’t built in a day. And that big goal you are working towards or that test you are studying for also doesn’t need to be done in a day. You create your own timeline, and it is important to give yourself breaks. While you may not always feel productive, that’s ok! Some days you need more breaks than others, and giving yourself moments to relax can benefit you in whatever you are trying to accomplish. Don’t be so hard on yourself!

1. Look for the good in each day

I have always cherished the saying, “not everyday is good, but there is good in each day”. Try to look for the highs in each day, because there is always something to be thankful for. I have found my days to be better when I do not dwell on the bad, because there is so much good you are overlooking when you do that!

1. Save up for the things you want!

If you have a job or a way of making money, save for your future of course, but if you have the opportunity then save for certain things you want! I made a goal for myself to buy a certain piece of clothing, and for months I set aside a certain amount of money towards it. While some things may seem unattainable, with just a little bit of saving you could be able to purchase your big wishlist items. Do not let anyone make you feel silly for working for the things you want! 

1. Get involved

Getting involved with school or other activities is one of my biggest tips for everyone, and it is never too late to start something. I’ve met so many of my best friends through being involved in various ways throughout the school. If you want to try something out, do it!

1. Don’t be scared of change

17 is a year full of change. Do not be scared of change, because sometimes you have to let go of certain things in order to gain new things. It is normal to feel uncomfortable with new experiences, but give things time. You are introduced to so many new opportunities when you accept change!

1. Get a planner

Different methods of organization can help you be successful in your classes! Getting a planner was a great way for me to keep track of all of my assignments and plans. With so many classes in my schedule, a planner has helped me know what I have to complete each night. Staying on top of your assignments and deadlines is really the key to having a successful year! 

1. Spend time with your family

Hitting 17 means you are also one step closer to possibly college and leaving the house and town you have grown up in. While it is a big change for you, it’s also a big change for the people that love you the most. Spend time with your family, because in a few short years you will be glad you did!

1. Treat yourself with a sweet treat

Being a high schooler is a lot of work inside and outside of school! Don’t forget to treat yourself, and my favorite way to do it is with a sweet treat! Find a food that makes you happy and reward yourself with it! For me right now it is an oreo milkshake with no cherry from Chick-Fil-A!

1. When you look good you feel good

I’ve learned that taking a few extra minutes in the morning to get ready has really helped me feel more prepared for each day. When you enjoy what you are wearing and how you feel, you can create the best version of yourself!

1. Try to be active in some way each day

It is so important to me to try to be active somehow each day. This could mean going for a walk at your favorite spot (my personal favorite being White Rock Lake) or it could mean doing a simple yoga class. Either way I find myself feeling really refreshed after finding a way to be active each day. 

1. Wake up at a good time

I am a morning person, but I understand how tempting it can be to sleep in. When I wake up early I can feel myself already having so much more energy and time in the day. I have loved watching the sunrise on my way to my early class each morning, and it has really made me want to continue waking up early each day!

1. If you want something, ask!

If you never ask, the answer will always be no. Whether or not you get the answer you hoped for, you should speak up for yourself when you want something. So many opportunities are missed from people never sharing their wants, so advocate for yourself!

1. No one is actually perfect

While it may seem from social media platforms that some people just have their life together perfectly, they don’t. Everyone has bad days, and everyone has flaws. Do not waste your time comparing yourself to a very calculated social media page!

1. It’s not embarrassing unless you make it

You choose whether or not to make a big deal out of something. I can promise you that whatever you think is embarrassing it is not as important as you think it is. If you tell yourself that it is not embarrassing, then it is not!

1. Soak it all up!

You’re only 17 once! Savor your time being 17 because it is a year that is so special!

Love, Haley