A baseball buzz as Rangers seek first World Series championship

WTV’s Ryan Shapiro reports from Globe Life Field as Redhawks react to the Rangers playing in the World Series.

After two 90+ loss seasons, and a hard-fought American League Championship Series against the Houston Astros, the Texas Rangers find themselves back in the Fall Classic.

The Rangers landed their spot after a dominant game 7 victory. Prior to that win, however, the last time the Rangers had made a World Series, some teachers on campus weren’t out of college.

“Well, I was in college. I was at Texas Tech University in Lubbock. And I know where I was for every specific game,” history teacher Kenneth Schiumo said. “The game that I remember the most was the clinching game of the series. It was Cardinals vs Rangers, and Nelson Cruz misplayed a ball and right field, I was standing on a treadmill, at the gym, watching the game. And when the game continued on after that, I got in the car and sped home. And I watched the Cardinals win the World Series.”

The Rangers have seen a quick turnaround with home-grown players coming through the Frisco RoughRiders and a corresponding spending spree on all-stars Marcus Semien and Corey Seager.

“We spent money but we also, you know, grew a lot of our guys. We got Josh Jung to come up through the farm system,” football coach, and social studies teacher Jacob Vella said. “And [Even] Carter. But yeah, you got to, you got to spend but you also got to develop guys in the Rangers have a good mix of both.”

However, it’s not just the players making the biggest impact.

• While some teachers have memories of past Rangers win, most students don’t. If the Rangers are able to secure the title, it would mean the first Dallas area championship for students on campus to remember.

• If the Rangers win this World Series, it’ll be the first in franchise history, adding them to the chain of successful franchises coming out of Texas. “Probably finally have a title in Dallas again,” senior Colby Thorsen said. “I mean, the Cowboys haven’t been doing it. You had the Mavericks, they’ve been selling every year.”

• The Rangers have made history with a win in the World Series. On campus, support for the team can be seen on shirts, hats, and on the walls.

• The Rangers support isn’t limited to students. Teachers across campus have also shown out in Rangers gear.

• After two 90+ loss seasons, and a hard-fought American League Championship Series against the Houston Astros, the Texas Rangers find themselves back in the Fall Classic, something Redhawks have been closely watching.

• Senior Colby Thorsen is a player on the Redhawk baseball team, and one of many students seen representing Rangers gear on campus.

• The Rangers success is due both to players and management, something Redhawks have taken note of.

Future Hall of Fame manager Bruce Bochy, who beat the Rangers in the 2010 World Series, has had a huge impact in this playoff run.

“He’s had an impact because he just leads the guys in general,” baseball player, senior Colby Thorsen said. “He’s just a great manager. And he’s been there before. He knows he knows what he’s doing.”

If the Rangers are able to secure the title, it would mean the first Dallas area championship for students on campus to remember.

“Probably finally have a title in Dallas again,” Thorsen said. “I mean, the Cowboys haven’t been doing it. You had the Mavericks, they’ve been selling every year.”

If the Rangers win this World Series, it’ll be the first in franchise history.