• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

One freshman with a passion for volunteering

Provided by Jian Park
Freshman Jian Park spends most of her Saturdays at Hanuri Church in Carrollton. She has a passion for volunteering, and one that has led her down a road of discovery.

For freshman Jian Park, it’s a calling.

Most students take Saturday off after an active school week for their own relaxation.

But for Jian, Saturdays are about helping others in her community.

It’s part of her work as a volunteer at Hanuri Church in Carrollton where Jian works with special needs children, and is a cause that has grown close to her heart.

“I got introduced to volunteering when a friend of mine mentioned it,” Jian said. “I was curious so I wanted to try it out. I had never really assisted a person with disabilities before, but I felt it was a unique experience I could learn from. It sounded interesting and something I had never thought of before, so I gave it a try.”

After first being introduced to the program three months ago, Jian now volunteers around four hours every Saturday. As she does this, she has worked with a wide range of people.

“I volunteer with about five to seven more people (all Christians),” Jian said. “All of them are passionate about helping the kids and so I learned how to become a better instructor and how to deal with certain behaviors I was not used to seeing.”

Jian’s volunteering has led to changes with her that have not gone unnoticed by those around her, as she inspires and influences them.

“I have noticed that Jian has become dramatically more patient with other people,” twin sister Jioh Park said. “For example, she was much more encouraging and gave out more compliments than I have ever seen her do before. With her volunteering, I felt that the experience had to be special and pretty fun so I decided to volunteer too. What she described was all true as it is a very unique experience!”

As Jian continues to participate in her church’s program, she brings hope and pride to her loved ones.

“Jian has learned that she can be helpful in the community that she lives in,” Jian’s mother, Minyoung Jean said. “I believe that from doing this (volunteering) she has also understood that there can be pressure when it comes to assisting those around her. I’m really proud of her, and I truly hope that Jian continues to volunteer and be a positive force for the community that she belongs to.”

Although Jian works with several children, helping one specific boy sparked a moment of self-realization for her.

“A kid I help with has severe ADHD which means that he is very spontaneous,” Jian said. “Understanding him was challenging when I first volunteered. However, I have learned to become more patient. Once, we went to this festival for kids with special needs near the beach. The kid I work with and I went inside the water together and had a good splash. Seeing his pure joy on his face was really significant for me.”