• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school
  • The start time for Friday's baseball playoff game against Lone Star at Independence is now 6 p.m.

Redhawks soar into DECA competition set for Tuesday

Marcus Salmeron
DECA students are heading to the Irving Convention Center Tuesday for the upcoming District CDC competition. “DECA gives students a platform to explore business in high school,” co-president, senior Aaron Xu said. “It also allows students to form a network of peers with similar interests and goals.”

After months of preparation, DECA members are set to demonstrate their skills in marketing, finance, hospitality, and management during the upcoming District CDC competition at the Irving Convention Center Tuesday.

“DECA is an international organization dedicated to preparing students for careers in business through competitions, community, workshops, etc,” co-president, senior Aaron Xu said. “DECA gives students a platform to explore business in high school. It also allows students to form a network of peers with similar interests and goals.”

Excited about her second year in DECA, sophomore Mahi Kosuri recalls last year’s competition downtime, emphasizing the chance to connect and socialize with friends from various schools.

“This is my second year competing in DECA,” Kosuri said. “It was so fun last year! Since we left at 6 a.m. and came back at 8 p.m., we got a lot of downtime in between competitions. During this time, we would take pictures and hang out with different friends. It’s always fun to meet and talk to kids in other schools.” 

Sanjana Vallampati, senior and the VP of Marketing, describes DECA as a club offering leadership opportunities for students interested in business careers. Competing in the Food Marketing Series, Vallampati is eager to network, meet new people, and showcase skills during role-play.

“DECA is a student involvement club to help guide students who are interested in business careers by giving them leadership opportunities and simulating real-world experiences,” Vallampati said. “This year, I am competing in the Food Marketing Series. I am excited about meeting new people and networking. I am also looking forward to showing off my work during the role-play.”

Sophomore Neha Ramachandran faces challenges regarding time management while preparing for DECA due to other commitments, but is prioritizing and utilizing downtime for DECA study instead of leisure activities. 

“The main challenge I’m facing in my preparation process is managing time,” Ramachandran said. “I have other commitments, extracurricular activities, and school work so it’s taking a lot of effort to work on DECA in addition to this. I’ve mainly been handling this by intentionally prioritizing DECA and managing my time effectively. Usually, if I have a break, I would read a book or watch some TV but instead, I’ve started making use of my downtime to study for DECA.” 

First-year competitors should focus on preparation and prioritizing enjoyment and networking according to senior and VP of Roleplays, Niraj Nambur.i

“My advice for first-year DECA competitors is to make sure to prepare thoroughly, but understand that knowing the material isn’t enough: you must also practice presenting the material,” Namburi said. “Also, have fun! To make the most of your experience, make sure to embrace networking, and don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.”