• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/28 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nick Smith.
Featured Athlete: Nick Smith
Lilian Johnson, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing baseball? Smith:”I...

View All
May 1 Daily Update
May 1 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 1, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings today's news and announcements, including dual credit, the APES wetlands project, and AP world history.

When checking grades, FISD recommends students stick with HAC

Maya Silberman
Despite their convenience, Frisco ISD encourages students to avoid third party apps in favor of using the Home Access Center. According to digital learning coach Nicole Lotz, third party apps may not reflect changes to grades and GPA as efficiently or accurately as HAC.

With the first progress report of the spring semester coming on Jan. 31, and ranks set to be released, Frisco ISD advises students to avoid using third-party apps in favor of Home Access Center, or HAC, the district-approved application for grades, GPA, and ranks.

“HAC will give you the most updated information that we have,” digital learning coach Nicole Lotz said. “You can make sure you are having the most up to date information for your GPA [by using HAC].”

Many students, however, choose not to use HAC and instead check their grades using third party apps, such as Gradify or Gradeway.

“I use third party apps,” freshman Duru Toyoglu said. “They are more simple to use than HAC and I feel like it’s easier to understand and see the information.”

Other students choose to use a mix of these tools, rather than exclusively using one app.

“When I’m usually on my computer or chromebook, I use HAC more often, but since my phone is always accessible to me, I usually use third party apps more frequently,” sophomore Sraddha Pedaprolu said.

But choosing to use these apps isn’t always the best option, Lotz warns. Third party apps may not reflect changes to grades and GPA as efficiently or accurately as HAC will.

“So HAC syncs with our system daily, and so it makes sure that you have the most correct information and the updated information that we have in our system,” Lotz said. “Using the third party app does not always sync with our system, so changes may not always be accurate.”

For Pedaprolu, knowing that the district doesn’t want students to use third-party apps changes things.

“If [the district] wouldn’t recommend [using third party apps], they’re still some benefits to it,” Pedaprolu said. “But I would probably use it less and less rather than getting rid of it completely, since it’s still really useful.”