Student Council President Candidates

Student Council President Candidates

Joaquin Perez (left) and Kathryn Murphy (right) are running to be the 2024-2025 Student Council president and vice president. Wingspan sat down with Joaquin Perez, running for president, to hear more about his goals.
Joaquin Perez

Junior Joaquin Perez is running for the 2024-2025 Student Council president alongside junior Kathryn Murphy.

WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS AS STUDENT BODY PRESIDENT?

“So some of our main goals for next year are to have inclusion on campus. That’s our main goal. And to do this, we really want to have events that people come up with that they can get their perspectives and ideas for so that every single person feels included in our school. And we also want to be in the know of all the events going on as well, because we want to have we want to just be able to support all of the clubs, organizations, games and everything that’s happening on campus so that there’s just more school spirit throughout the whole school. And lastly, we also really want to get feedback from students on campus. We think that it’s really important for our students on campus to be able to give their feedback and give their new ideas and perspectives so that whatever the events they are going to, they feel like they are included.” 

WHAT SETS YOU APART?

“So something that’s that’s me and Kathryn apart is that we’re both very different people. Me being more on the journalism side and her being more of an athlete who has won two state championships is just very different. And so whenever we come together it just really helps bring our goal together of inclusion because we’re both different people. So we’re able to talk to so many different kinds of people from all over the school and it just helps in the end, whenever we can come together and we can talk to so many new and different people.”

HOW WOULD YOU FOSTER SCHOOL SPIRIT?

“So some of our ways that we want to have school spirit are to, just like we said before, being the know of all the events and be able to go and support them. Right now during our campaigning, we’ve been going to all of these events to show our school spirit and that’s something that we want to continue throughout the whole school year, next year. And we don’t want to just go to sports events like football, but we also want to support other events like concerts and stuff like that and also like DECA and BPA. We just really want to be able to show our school spirit. And we also and then another thing we want to do to have school spirit is we really want to have events that like best dress during our dress up days so that people will want to dress up and they’ll be able to win prizes for dressing up. Because if we have people that dress up, it’ll just create what’s fair on campus and it’ll just be a more fun and welcoming place for everyone.”

WHAT WOULD IT MEAN TO BE PRESIDENT?

“I think winning student council president would just be an honor and a great achievement in our school. And I just feel like right now, being a producer and Wingspan as a leader right now, I feel like moving up to the next level of being city council president would just be an honor and I would love to support our school and be able to represent our school in an amazing way.”

ANY OTHER REMARKS?

“In the end I think it would just be an amazing honor for me and Kathryn to be able to be student council president and vice president. And so I think it’s really going to be my priority to be just consistent through the whole year and be trying my best 100% of the time and just always show up. I think it would just be an amazing honor for me and Kathryn to be able to be student council president and vice president. We love supporting our school and we love going to these events and we want next year to be a fun and welcoming place for everyone. And I feel like if we are city council president and vice president, then we’ll be able to achieve all of these goals.”

Joaquin Perez (left) and Kathryn Murphy (right) are running to be the 2024-2025 Student Council president and vice president. Wingspan sat down with Joaquin Perez, running for president, to hear more about his goals. (Provided by Joaquin Perez)
Avery Peters (right) and Ally Gerardot (left) are running to be the 2024-2025 Student Council president and vice president. Wingspan sat down with Avery Peters, running for president, to hear more about her goals.
Avery Peters

Junior Avery Peters is running for the 2024-2025 Student Council president alongside junior Ally Gerardot.

“We have a lot of goals in store, and most of them involve usually not involving just sports and focusing and fixating on that. And so one thing that’s really important to us is kind of involving other clubs and organizations and not just hyper fixating on sports and only really making everything about them.”

WHAT SETS YOU APART?

“I think that we’re trying to think of new ideas. It’s really easy to repeat a bunch of ideas that we’ve done in the past year. And so another really new idea that we’re trying to do is focus really on advisory events this year, and we kind of repeat the same ones over and over again. So people kind of get tired of that. And so we’re trying to bring in more service events that people can get in us hours for and new games, and we can even have a student body vote on those.”

HOW WOULD YOU FOSTER SCHOOL SPIRIT?

“I think that, like I was saying, involving the student body opinion, we would definitely want to send out Google forms asking for opinions. So if we need more ideas involving anything new or just something that we don’t really have answered things to, we would probably send out a Google form to everyone to have them kind of give their opinion and everything. And hopefully that would bring more school spirit because one idea that we have is to send out Google Form for themes for Coco or any football games or any event like that, like pep rallies. And so I think by involving all of their opinions, more people will want to be involved and have more school spirit and pride.”

WHAT WOULD IT MEAN TO BE PRESIDENT?

“I think it would be really exciting. I’ve really been looking forward to it and it’s really something that I feel strongly about. I think that you really need to have a good leader that’s always going to show up and be consistent with their work. And I think that it’s easy, especially since I’ll be a senior next year. It’s easy to get lazy kind of towards the end of the year, and I’ve seen people do that. And so I think it’s really going to be my priority to be just consistent through the whole year and be trying my best 100% of the time and just always show up.”

ANY OTHER REMARKS?

“I don’t think so. Me and Ally are just really excited for this year and we can’t wait to see what it holds.”

Avery Peters (right) and Ally Gerardot (left) are running to be the 2024-2025 Student Council president and vice president. Wingspan sat down with Avery Peters, running for president, to hear more about her goals. (Provided by Avery Peters)