Featured Athlete: Amelia Jauregui

Sport: cross country | Grade: 9

Although it may be difficult, being a freshman on varsity is no uncommon at the school.

@AmeliaJauregui_

Years played: 3

Height: 5’1”

Favorite pre race meal: “I don’t really eat before I run.”

Hype song: doesn’t have one

Inspiration: Molly Seidel

Future job: no idea

Wingspan: How do you prepare for a meet?

Jauregui: “I focus, I got to all of the practices, I make sure to eat correctly days prior to it, and go to bed early and make sure I’m prepared for the next day.”

Wingspan: Have you ever gotten a serious injury from running?

Jauregui: “Not a serious injury, no.”

Wingspan: What’s it like being freshman on varsity?

Jauregui: “It’s a lot of fun being a freshman on varsity, but it’s challenging to be able to keep up with the older girls just cause they’ve had so much more experience and practice and they’re all very good.”

Wingspan: Are their days were you don’t feel like running and if so, what motivates you?

Jauregui: “There are definitely days when I don’t feel like running because it’s just tiring sometimes, what motivates me is just that, to get better and that to push the other girls because they’re pushing me.”

Wingspan: How do you better yourself?

Jauregui: “I just do whatever I can to get better and to push myself.”

Wingspan: Is there a specific diet that you should eat prior to a meet?

Jauregui: “I eat a lot of carbs, I like pasta, pasta is really good, like a night or two nights before, I eat enough but I don’t over eat so I don’t feel gross.”

Wingspan: What would you like to be known for?

Jauregui: “I think it would be cool for people to know me as a really good runner and that like if the team was able to go to state, and like helping contribute to the team at state.”

Wingspan: Do you have a favorite memory from cross country?

Jauregui: “Well it hasn’t been that long in cross country, but when the older girls kidnapped the freshmen that was really fun.”

Wingspan: What advice would you give someone looking to run cross country?

Jauregui: “It’s really tiring but you just have to persevere and push through and you will always be glad with the outcome because you will be really satisfied with yourself  and because even if you don’t beat someone you push yourself and beat your own time and you just try to get a better place and it’s just a competition with yourself.”

Wingspan: How are you planning to pursue running in the future?

Jauregui: “Well I want to do it all through high school and if possible, in college, but if not, running just doing it on my own time to make sure I stay fit and doing like 5k’s and all that.”