Sports City, USA adds PGA to its resume

Sports City, USA adds PGA to its resume

At the Professional Golfers' Association press conference in Frisco, chief operating officer for PGA speaks about a newly announced move to Frisco.

provided by Meghan Cone

provided by Meghan Cone

provided by Meghan Cone

The PGA of America is moving its headquarters from Palm Beach County, FL to Frisco, where it will anchor a 600-acre, mixed-use development with an initial investment worth more than $500 million. The move was announced Tuesday evening after votes by the Frisco City Council, its Economic and Community Development Corporations and the Frisco Independent School District Board of Trustees. Under this agreement, two PGA Championships, two KPMG Women’s PGA Championships and potentially a Ryder Cup will be held in Frisco.  

The decision to relocate their headquarters to Texas because of our business-friendly climate is a welcome one,”

— Governor Greg Abbott said in a PGA news release

“For years, the PGA of America has served its membership all across the nation where they engage their local communities, and help to raise over $4 billion annually,” Governor Greg Abbott said in a PGA news release. “The decision to relocate their headquarters to Texas because of our business-friendly climate is a welcome one. I thank the PGA of America for the new jobs and investment that they will bring to the City of Frisco, wish them continued success, and welcome them to the Lone Star State, the home of champions.”

The PGA’s move to Frisco has the potential to help the local economy grow as its expected to have an estimated economic impact of more than $2.5 billion over the next 20 years based on a city commissioned tourism feasibility study.  

“Having another corporate presence, especially one with such a nationally and internationally recognized brand like the PGA of America, continues to enhance Frisco’s reputation as one of the most sought-after sports and business environments in the United States,” Frisco Economic Development Corporation president Ron Patterson said in the PGA news release. “The PGA will bring more jobs, as well as numerous PGA tournaments, to Frisco. Additionally, the PGA becomes the eighth professional sports organization to be headquartered in the city.”

The public-private investment features contributions from the PGA, the city of Frisco, Frisco Economic Development Corp., the Frisco Community Development Corp., and Frisco ISD. The district’s $5.8 million contribution “will come from a Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ), set up in 1997 to promote economic development and expand the property tax base. Revenue generated by TIRZ cannot be spent on day-to-day operating expenses of the school district and the project will not impact FISD’s tax rate.”

“This partnership adds another level of exciting opportunities and experiences for our students,” Frisco ISD Superintendent Dr. Mike Waldrip said in a PGA news release. “The facility will be home to Frisco ISD golf and provide a number of unique learning opportunities for students in fields such as landscape architecture, hotel and restaurant management, and sports broadcasting. The development around the golf courses will also add millions of dollars to our tax base, helping to keep the tax rate low.”

The PGA’s move to Frisco is expected to bring two championship golf courses, a short course, and practice areas totaling 45 holes; a clubhouse; a 500-room Omni resort and 127,000-square-foot conference center; a technologically advanced retail village; and parks and open space plus several miles of trails which will be open both to the public and golfers.

All of this will be located at Rockhill Parkway and Legacy Drive, approximately one-third of a mile south of U.S. 380 and will provide opportunities to student athletes in Frisco ISD.

The facility will be home to Frisco ISD golf and provide a number of unique learning opportunities for students in fields such as landscape architecture, hotel and restaurant management, and sports broadcasting,”

— Frisco ISD Superintendent Dr. Mike Waldrip said in a PGA news release

“This is yet another example of the public entities in Frisco coming together with private partners to provide unprecedented experiences for young people,” Frisco ISD School Board President John Classe said in the PGA news release. “The opportunities available to students in Frisco ISD are simply unmatched in Texas and across the nation. We’re excited about what this partnership means, not just for our students, but the community.”    

The golf courses are expected to open in the summer of 2022 with the hotel, convention center, and other facilities expected to open within six months of that date.

“Our move to Frisco will be transcendent for the PGA of America,” PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh said in the PGA news release.  “Everything great starts with a dream.  This is the beginning of a bold, new journey as we bring together world-class partners in a world-class location – to deliver innovative and differentiated experiences for our nearly 29,000 PGA Golf Professionals, golfers of all abilities and our staff.”

Aliza Porter, Assignment Editor

Aliza Porter is currently a senior. She likes to spread positivity. She loves to exercise and do kickboxing in her free time. She has a huge passion for...