Indulging in the importance of dance

For+many%2C+dance+is+an+outlet+of+expression+and+fosters+a+sense+of+team+building.+Wingspans+Alveena+Naeem+shares+her+take+on+the+topic.+

For many, dance is an outlet of expression and fosters a sense of team building. Wingspan’s Alveena Naeem shares her take on the topic.

Alveena Naeem, Guest Contributor

Coming across different dance studios and analyzing them, the numerous smiles, harmony, and effort shine from each individual. Each person has their own experience and impact, but ask anybody that dances, and they’re like to say dance is special.

“For dance, being in class or being on a team, of course, it’s like an art,” dance teacher Sarah Cadungug said. “Kids love to dance to express themselves, and that also just teaches you some confidence and to trust in yourself.”

Cadungug believes dance allows students to get out of their comfort zone and find ways to express themselves.

“When students get to come together, whether it’s for different styles or individually, they push one another to do their best and work as a team,” Cadungug said.

Aside from improving individually, dancing as a team helps students learn and express new styles.

“With such diverse students, we’re able to learn more new dance styles,” Cadungug said. “There’s so many different cultures and we are all still learning. When we look outside of our bubble, we see that there are so many different styles we can learn from. There’s always someone with a different style, so we can see there’s so much more to dance than what people may expect.”

With a diverse body of students and different styles, students are pushed to expand their interests and try new styles. Furthermore, this form of art also teaches appreciation and life lessons. 

“Dance is an important part of my life because it gives me the chance to calm down and focus on myself,” junior Vivien Kutscha said.

Kutscha, enjoying her third year in dance and Red Rhythm Dance Team, is given the opportunity to further appreciate her work through public performances. 

“Dance performances are probably the biggest impact in society through the art,” Kutscha said. “We show of what we’ve been working on for so long, what we’ve put all our energy in for those few minutes on stage to shine.”

After practicing a final piece, the chance to present their work on stage for others to see is seen as a way to appreciate the art. 

“Just like art, music, or playing an instrument, dance is also a way to step out of your comfort zone,” Red Rhythm Dance Team member senior Kassidy DeFrost said.

DeFrost agrees that dance allows one to step out of their comfort zone and focus on their work.

“It’s taught me true dedication and hard work,” DeFrost said. “It’s also taught me to keep working towards my goals, like getting a new skill.”

With the opportunity to practice, dancers are further able to learn valuable skills and lessons.

“These changes have really helped me grow into the person I am and want to be,” DeFrost said. “I believe dance kinda has the same effect on everyone. If you truly find something you love to do, then you learn with hard work, and you can do those things.”