April 29 Daily Update
April 29 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • April 29, 2024

WTV's Kathryn Murphy brings you today's news and announcements including early voting ending, closed advisory, and this week's edition of trivia.

Redhawks return to campus for the 2023-24 school year

Maya Silberman
Juniors and seniors will have late arrival on Tuesday, due to freshmen and sophomores taking the English I and English II EOC. Students that are not taking either exam will be expected to be on campus by 12:15 p.m. and report to their second period class to take attendance.

After one of the hottest summers on record, Redhawks are back at The Nest Wednesday for the first day of the 2023-24 school year.

Although there are changes in school policy and furniture, the excitement for the beginning of the school year remains for many students.

“I would describe the start of the school year for me as exciting because it gives me something to do instead of being lazy all day which makes me feel more productive overall,” junior Sia Parpelli said. “I also love seeing my peers around me in school and learning new things for the future.”

For Parpelli, the first-day excitement is accompanied by first-day jitters.

“I’m looking forward to a lot of things, but also very nervous about all of it as well,” she said. “This year is arguably the most important of my high school career, and I want to make sure I achieve what I aim for this year.”

For some seniors, including senior Lila Elizondo, this year is bittersweet.

“It feels weird to be a senior, but I’m also excited to take all my classes and graduate,” Elizondo said. “I’m looking forward to finishing up high school, but also just enjoying my last year with all my friends.”

The first day brings not only new students but also new staff to campus.

“Frisco has a great reputation as an outstanding district, with great students and great staff,” new teacher Michael Deal said. “When a position opened up, I jumped at the opportunity to join.”

Although it’s just the first day of the school year, Deal is ready for what is to come.

“I’m looking forward to football season,” Deal said. “Nothing better than Friday night lights.”