• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

View All
May 2 Daily Update
May 2 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 2, 2024

WTV's Sadie Johnson brings you today's news and announcements, including NHS voting, UIL academics, and this week's edition of My Life As.

Artistic Expressions: Nolan Sow

Sonja Mo
Staff reporter Christine Han sits down with junior Nolan Sow to discuss his cello journey.

Name: Nolan Sow

Grade: Junior

Instrument: Cello

Wingspan: How long have you been in orchestra?

Sow: “I started orchestra when it was provided as a class in middle school, so this would be my sixth year. For the past six or so years, I’ve been playing the cello.”

Wingspan: What do you like about orchestra? 

Sow: “Besides the main aspect of just playing in an orchestra, I think the social life that we have in orchestra [is my favorite part]. I think we build such a great connective family, and that bond we all share as musicians is really important to me. I found really good connections and friends through orchestra. That is one of the main reasons why I continued to stay in this program for so long.”

Wingspan: Do you have a role in orchestra? 

Sow: “Currently, for Liberty Orchestra, I am the Junior Vice President. Those roles are just more of the planning the socials we have and that we offer to our orchestra students.”

Wingspan: What do you like about playing the cello? 

Sow: “I think personally the differences between the cello compared to the violin or viola or the bass is that it really has a tone that can mimic the human voice whereas the other instruments aren’t really able to do that. By being able to have lower registers and high registers, you’re able to have that combination of both worlds, and that’s what I really like about it.” 

Wingspan: What do you find the challenges are of being in orchestra? 

Sow: “I think when you’re in orchestra or any program, you have certain responsibilities, and you need to uphold them. That’s just every program, and so [if] you put in the right amount of time and effort into orchestra, then you’re able to fulfill the needs you have to meet. So personally, I don’t see any challenges because I know what the standards are, and I know that I need to meet them.” 

Wingspan: What advice would you give to someone who is considering joining the orchestra?

Sow: “I think orchestra is a very good program at Liberty. We create a great environment for all students, whether you’re introverted or extroverted. You’re really able to find someone that connects with you really well. Orchestra is not just about playing it’s about how you’re able to connect with other people. So, if you’re considering joining the orchestra ask yourself: what other benefits am I gaining besides the professional musicianship I am able to gain.”