April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

Along with winter comes sickness season

Wade Glover
With the wintertime often comes more sicknesses with viruses such as colds, flu, and COVID-19 spreading faster and more frequently. Many students are trying to stay healthy by sanitizing, wearing masks, and getting COVID and flu vaccines.

As the weather turns cooler, viruses such as colds, flu, and COVID-19 have been spreading faster and more frequently. 

“Lately we’ve seen a lot of viruses where people have scratchy or sore throats, headaches, feeling tired, and sometimes stomach aches,” nurse Lindsay McDavid said. “We’ll probably see more flu at some point. COVID has been ranked pretty low but consistently low [from] the numbers we’ve seen.”

Not only will students have to worry about the flu, but COVID-19 as well as certain mutants of COVID-19 are making their way back onto campus.

“COVID-19 seems to mutate more than the flu,” McDavid said. “We see more mutations at different times of the year-where the flu, you know what’s going to be coming in like late fall [to] early winter or sometimes early spring, but covid’s year around. I think it’ll just be interesting to see where it all goes.”

Students such as freshman Sriharini Karna have been practicing extra measures to stay healthy while trying to balance keeping up with school work. 

“I try to eat healthy and have been eating more vegetables and fruits,” Karna said. “[When I feel sick] I tell my parents [and] they [ask me] on a scale from one to ten [how bad it is] and if I say it’s a ten, then they say, ‘for sure you have to stay home’, but if it’s a one or two, I still go to school. If I have a major test and I’m sick, then I still go to school.”