March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements...

The Weekly: spring fashion

March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer • March 1, 2024

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements including FISD's job fair, NHS applications and this week's edition of Real Talk.

African American Studies explore the Civil Rights Movement in Dallas

Sadie Johnson
American American Studies students are heading to the Dallas Museum of Art and then later to the Juanita Craft House. They will be visiting the Afro-Atlantic Histories special exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art, where they will learn more about the Civil Rights Movement in Dallas.

African American Studies students are finishing up the week with a field trip on Friday to see the Afro-Atlantic Histories special exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art, and then to the Juanita Craft House to learn about the Civil Rights Movement in Dallas.

¨When we’re there, we’re gonna meet some of the kids who are in her NAACP group called Craft Kids. It’s gonna be really great to hear from them about what it looks like protesting segregation and state care,” teacher Sarah Wiseman said.¨The special exhibit is Afro Atlantic Histories, and it’s covering all different time periods that’s exploring the idea of the effects of the Atlantic slave trade on the African people, both in Africa and diaspora.” 

The history of the Craft Kids is something that holds interest for junior Lydia Machiri.

¨I’m hoping to learn more about “The Craft Kids” and their purpose and contributions in the community,¨ Machiri said.

In addition to learning more about the Civil Rights movement in Dallas, Wiseman is hopeful that students take away more than just a history lesson from Friday’s field trip. 

¨I think visiting Juanita Crafts house is just gonna be about really thinking about how you can act locally in big and small ways to make change,” Wiseman said.